XVIII

december 30th

;

Yoongi swears he's hearing things. At least, that's what he tells himself at four in the morning when he thinks he's heard gunshots ring out into the middle of the night. He swears he's hearing things when he hears screaming coming from above him and the sound of crying. He wants to be hearing things when he hears another gunshot ringing out, because it makes him sick to his stomach. Heavy footsteps are storming above him. Yoongi's throwing back the covers and following them out of his bedroom, out into the hall. They stopped in the living room. His heart is pounding in his chest so quickly he's afraid it might burst out. He feels like he's living in some sort of twisted horror film where he can hear everything going on above him but he's helpless. He's praying to god those weren't gunshots.

He waits it out...one second...two seconds, three seconds, four....there's a sound of a slamming door...five seconds, six seconds, seven seconds, eight - he can hear a car door slam shut and speeding off into the night.

He bolted back to his bedroom in search of a heavy sweater and some socks. This is ridiculous. His anxiety is rising - first the loud banging and distant sounds of shouting, and now gunshots and speeding cars? He didn't want to believe that Jimin was the reason behind the bumps in the night, but he didn't have any other logical explanation behind what was happening.

He didn't bother with a coat as he sprinted out into the night. He was blasted with a cold gust of wind and swirling snow that almost knocked him flat on his ass, but he kept going. He raced up the stairs, two at a time, and nearly tripped near the top. Panic filled him as he spotted faint footsteps in the snow leading away from Jimin's apartment. He swallowed the lump in his throat, and pushed on towards Jimin's apartment

"Jimin?!" Yoongi called out, pounding on his front door. "Jimin?!"

The younger was at the door in record time. He yanked open the door and peered up at Yoongi. He was bundled up in the same light pink sweater. Yoongi could see the fear in his eyes, and he wasn't sure if it wasn't because of him or because of the gunshots, but he wants to pull Jimin close to him and never let go. "Are you okay?" he blurted out. "I heard gunshots and-"

"I left the tv on again," Jimin whispered, glancing back into the darkness of his apartment. "Some crime show...it freaked me out too," Yoongi could hear the tv now, if he thought about it, but-

"B-But it sounded so real," he replied. He resisted the urge to bring his hands up and cup Jimin's cheeks in his, and draw him close.

"It's late Yoongi, I think your ears are playing tricks on you,"

"It was so l-loud and I-"

"The walls are thin here,"

"Jimin-" Yoongi feels frustrated. He wasn't crazy, something weird was going on here.

"Thanks for caring though, that's really nice of you," he parroted, using the same words from last time. "I have to go back in,"

"W-Wait, Jimin-"

But it was too late. Jimin had already closed the door on him, and Yoongi was left out in the cold winter air once more.

_____   🍃  _____

there's one more update for the night coming after this and you all have to wait until tomorrow