Chapter 6

Hotch calls us into the conference room in the police precinct to compare the statements from the victims' families. We sit around the table, our notepads flipped open as we face Hotch standing next to the whiteboard.

"Reid, what did you find?"

"Mia Wells was dating a woman around the time of her death. Her brother was the only one who knew about Mia's relationship, but he said he only saw them together once about a week before her death. He said her name was Leora, she had blonde hair and is between five-foot-eight and five-foot-ten."

Hotch scribbles bullet points on the whiteboard as Emily speaks up from beside me.

"I got a similar description. The victim was dating a woman named Eleanor, so Leora could be a nickname. She is around the same height but she had red hair."

The team came to a consensus that each victim was romantically involved with the same woman in the weeks leading up to their deaths. All we have is a first name, a height description, and her race.

"Hey, baby girl", Derek says to the laptop on the table.

"Hello, my chocolate king, it is I, the peppermint queen", she grins.

"I need you to find someone for me, but we don't have a lot of information."

"And you think that will stop me", she scoffs playfully.

"Garcia, we need a white woman in her early twenties, between five-eight and five-ten in the Reno area. Her first name is Eleanor but that is all we have", Hotch says.

The sound of Garcia's long nails clacking against her keys spills from the computer's speakers. It only takes about a minute for her to find the information we need.

"Eleanor Wright, age nineteen. She lives in the apartment complex on Water Street, apartment 13. It seems that she is off of work today, so she should be there when you arrive", she chirps.

"Alright, thank you, baby", Morgan says.

"Call me if you need anything", Garcia says before the screen goes blank.

"There are two SUVs out front, let's go", Hotch orders.

Everyone collects their items and rushes to the parking lot. I follow Morgan and JJ to the car and they make me sit in the back seat where there is not enough room for my long legs. I try to ignore my discomfort by telling myself it will only be a few minutes, but Derek chose today to drive the speed limit.

"What I don't understand is her method of killing. There's no violence, no torture, there's not even any blood. It's cold and calculated; it doesn't seem like the work of an angry lover", I say.

"We still have yet to question her, there may be more to this", JJ says.

I lean my head against the window and close my eyes, the hum of the tires on the cracked pavement soothing me. Images of her dance behind my eyelids and I can't wait to see her again.

"But I can see us, lost in the memory. August slipped away into a moment in time, 'cause it was never mine. And I can see us twisted in bedsheets. August sipped away, like a bottle of wine, 'cause you were never mine."