Chapter 38

After arguing over who will pay the dinner bill, we ended up splitting it before skipping out of the restaurant, hand in hand. We walk down the street aimlessly, occasionally stopping to look into odd shops and to take pictures. About half an hour into our walk, we pass a band playing on the sidewalk.

"Do you want to dance?" Spencer asks, arm extended towards me hesitantly.

I smile brightly and accept his hand. He clumsily pulls me towards him and I stumble, but I catch myself on his chest. His hands find my hips and he starts to sway us gently to the music. I can tell he isn't entirely sure what to do, so I take the lead. I lace my fingers with his and rest my cheek on his collarbone.

"Y/n?" he asks softly. I hum in response. "Can I twirl you?"

I can't help the giggle that bubbles up from my chest, but I agree nonetheless. I take a step back and he raises our arms and spins me, sending the skirt of my dress flying up. He brings me back to him and draws me in for a kiss. As our lips are locked together, sending sparks throughout my body, we continue to sway. I'm not sure how long we stay like that, but it feels like heaven so I don't have any complaints.

When we pull away, I realize that we were dancing when the music stopped and we burst into a fit of laughter.

"You're covered in lipstick, Spencer," I tell him.

"Is it pretty on me?"

"It's gorgeous," I say, brushing the color off of the corner of his mouth.

"You're gorgeous, Mrs. Reid" he grins.

"You can't call me that until it's official" I reply teasingly.

"Then let's make it official. They have those drive-through wedding chapels everywhere around here."

I take out my phone and find the closest one and I am happy to read that it's only a two-minute walk away. Unsurprisingly, this two-minute walk went twice as fast because Spencer was practically dragging me behind him.

"Slow down!" I yelp.

"Come on" he whines, "I'm excited."

"I am too, but you're going to break my ankles."

After that, he slows down considerably so I can keep up with him. When we get to the building, he opens the door for me and bows dramatically, making me laugh. We go up to the front desk and sign the waivers and pay for our marriage certificate.

The receptionist takes us through a door on the side which leads into a room with an altar, rose petals on the floor, and music playing. Spencer leaps up the small stairs and stands under the white arch at the back of the room.

I giggle quietly and take the bouquet of flowers from the receptionist. The wedding march started to play and I walked slowly down the aisle towards the man of my dreams. He reaches his hand out to help me up the stairs, and I gratefully accept.

"Do you have vows prepared or would you like to recite the traditional ones?" the woman asks.

"No, thank you, I'm sure we can come up with something," Spencer grins. "You can go first."

I am quiet for a moment while I organize my thoughts. "Spencer Reid, my entire life I believed I was destined to live a boring, suburban life and probably become a housewife at some point. I am so glad that you decided to come into my life. We didn't meet under the best circumstances, but in a way, that makes this all better, doesn't it? You stuck by my side and defended me, even when everyone else was telling you to do otherwise. I love you so much, Spencer, and I can't wait to be Mrs. Reid."

When I finish, I can see the wateriness that has welled in his eyes. He stares into my eyes for a second before clearing his throat.

"I don't like things that can't be proved with science. I'm not a man of faith, I don't believe in ghosts or the supernatural and I certainly don't believe in soulmates, yet here we are. There's no way to explain what we have; we met in a shared dream, then again in real life. It sounds like a plot to a strange book that I would probably never read, but I got to live it and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't belong, my beloved, but neither do you."

My eyes flick down to Spencer's left arm where he is scratching aggressively at the crease of his elbow. Beneath the angry red scratch marks are small scars. I furrow my eyebrows but my attention is brought back to his face when he speaks again.

"I'd happily spend the rest of my life with you if I could, but even if we find that this doesn't work out in the long run, I'm glad I will, at least, have a lifelong friend."

"If you two are finished with the vows, we can continue with the ceremony?" the woman butts in. Spencer and I both nod in agreement, and she proceeds. "Spencer Reid, do you take this woman to be your wife, to live together in matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, and to keep her in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," he says, taking my hands in his.

"And do you, Y/n Y/l/n, take this man to be your husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, to honor him, to comfort him, and to keep him in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"By the power vested in me under the laws of the State of Nevada, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

Spencer's right arm wraps around my waist and he pulls me towards him to capture my lips with his. Fireworks explode in my stomach as the reality of this situation.

I am kissing my husband at my last-minute Las Vegas wedding, and I don't feel even an ounce of hesitancy.

When he lets me go, I lean my forehead against his shoulder and nuzzle my face into his neck. He rubs his large hand over my back and I shiver when his slightly cold fingers brush over my bare skin.

"Let's go back to the hotel, Mrs. Reid," he whispers in my ear.

"But we have the whole city left to explore," I pout.

"It'll still be there tomorrow. Besides, the things I want you to do to me can't be done anywhere else," he says suggestively.

"Spencer!" I hiss, surprised at his forwardness.

"Please? I want to show you how much I love you," he says, batting his eyelashes at me.

"Fine, but don't try anything until we get back."

"Cross my heart," he grins.