Chapter 33

"I would first like to call Penelope Garcia to the stand," Hotch says.

Garcia walks down the aisle, through the gate, and across the shined wood floor. When she reaches the stand, she is sworn in and sits back down.

"Miss Garcia is the Technical Analyst for the BAU, meaning she electronically goes through records, addresses, and any other public information that could be helpful in narrowing down a suspect list or finding our unsub. She has looked into Miss Wright's records and has found some implicating information. Miss Garcia, would you please present this to the court?"

"Absolutely," she says, opening the tan file on the table in front of her. "I have found bank statements that show charges coming from an Australian business, as well as months of messages between Miss Wright and a representative from this company."

"The poison found in each of the victims was called Strychnine, a poison that has been banned in the United States but is easily obtained with the right connections overseas. Miss Garcia, what is the name of the company that Miss Wright purchased from?"

"A company called Nufarm."

"And what was purchased?"

"On two occasions, she purchased twenty grams of Strychnine, and the second transaction was made three months after the first."

"As you can see, the dates the substance was purchased lines up almost exactly with the dates of each murder. Thank you, Miss Garcia," Hotch dismisses.

I watch as Garcia returns to her seat beside Morgan when I hear my name being called.

"Next, I would like Dr. Spencer Reid to come to the stand."

My heart jumps in my chest and the fear of fainting in front of all of these people spikes. Luckily, I make it to the stand and am sworn in without issue. As I slide onto the bench, I look over the courtroom and I see her.

Or, someone who I think is her.

There are dark circles underneath her eyes and her hair is slightly shorter and frizzy. Her orange jumpsuit is unlike anything she would ever wear. There's no personality, no style, no individuality. She looks small and weak sitting next to Hotch, which is a large contrast to when they first met and he had to physically restrain her. She doesn't even make eye contact with me. It's not Y/n.

"At Miss Y/l/n's previous trial, you presented a sample of her handwriting and explained how the list of victims did not match. I understand this was not enough evidence to convince the jury, but you have more samples, correct?"

"Yes, I do. I have her entire journal to compare the original list to," I tell him.

"That won't be necessary," Hotch says, "Could you read me the entry dated July 17th, please."

"Um... sure," I reply hesitantly. I open the book and find the page in question. I begin to read aloud. "I had a dream this morning about a man I have never met. He was tall and thin and handsome. He had brown hair and hazel eyes the glowed golden in the sun. He picked a yellow flower and tucked it behind my ear while we were sitting in the grass. We were having a good time, but then he disappeared. I was begging him not to leave, but I couldn't stop him. I hope I get to see him again."

By the time I finish reading, my voice is just on the edge of breaking and I can feel that my cheeks are hot. I clear my throat and close the book, keeping my finger in the spine to save my place. Hotch gives me a brief sympathetic look before he continues with his lawyer act.

"Thank you. The next entry I would like you to read is dated July 31st," he says.

I find the page and read it aloud again.

"Today is the first night that I haven't seen him. I still don't know his name or anything about him other than he is literally the man of my dreams. I wish I could meet him. I wish I could tell him all the things I always try to before he disappears again. I miss his hugs, his soft kisses, his hands running through my hair. Maybe I will find him in real life, but for now, I'm content with dreams."

"This doesn't sound to me like the stream of consciousness of a serial killer. It sounds like the diary of a young woman in love with an unobtainable man. It's pure and innocent, just like Miss Y/l/n. She is innocent and she needs to be freed so she can be with her true love and live the happily-ever-after that she has dreamed of since she was young."

At some point during Hotch's speech, I snap. Tears stream freely down my cheeks, leaving wet trails behind. My leg is bouncing under the table, my fingers are tapping the back of my hand and everything feels like it is on the edge of falling apart.

"I have no further evidence to present," Hotch finishes.

"Then we will break for recess so the jury can deliberate," the judge says.

Everyone is dismissed and Hotch goes with Y/n to a different room while the other agents and I wait in the hallway.

JJ gives me a comforting hug, but she thankfully keeps it brief so I'm not uncomfortable. Garcia hands me a tissue from her purse, but the fruity scent of her perfume is stuck to the paper which makes me sneeze.

"I'm sorry, baby," Garica apologizes while rubbing my back.

"It's okay," I try to laugh but it comes out forced.

I stand in the hallway with them and listen to their conversation, but not adding much myself. It's difficult to think about anything other than Y/n, but it's better to be with them than alone.

"They're ready for us," Hotch says as he walks past, Y/n in tow.

I reach out to grab her hand, but Morgan stops me gently.

"You'll get to touch her all you want in a couple of minutes, okay Pretty Boy?"

"Y-yeah, okay. I'm sorry," I mumble.

He leads me back into the courtroom, and we retake our seats. After a few minutes, everyone has filed back into the room and is settled.

Everyone rises when the judge enters and when he sits, the reality of the situation sets in. In the next few minutes, my fate and hers will be decided.

Our entire relationship is in the hands of these twelve people, and I have faith that they made the right decision.

"The jury has come to a unanimous verdict. Y/n Y/l/n is found not guilty and will be released of all charges."