Chapter 14

Y/n's POV:

Agent Morgan leaves me in my cell and I lay on the bed, staring at the beige ceiling. The bed, if it could even be called that, was extremely uncomfortable but I am tired enough to fall asleep anyways.

I am standing in a field overlooking a valley full of yellow flowers. I look down at my long sundress and sandals with confusion because this is not my typical outfit of choice.

"Y/n?", I hear a voice call.

I turn around, trying to find the source of the voice. Behind me, Spencer is standing with his hands in his pockets.

"Spencer?", I ask hopefully. "You're back."

"You know I can never stay away for long", he says.

He walks towards me and wraps his arms around my waist. I lay my head against his chest and take a deep breath, enjoying how his scent envelopes me.

I look up at him, the orange glow of the sunset casting beautiful shadows over his sharp features.

"You're so gorgeous", he says.

I smile at him and lean on my toes so I can reach to press a kiss to the corner of his mouth.

"Let's get out of here", I tell him.

"And go where?"

"Let's get out of the city, away from the crowd."

He mirrors my smile and grabs my hand. He starts to run down the hill while pulling me behind. Our laughter mixes in the air as we run through the flowers and trees.

We pass a small blue cottage that I recognize from our many nights together. He brings me around the house to the car, our getaway car.

He opens the door for me and reluctantly lets go of my hand. He runs around the front of the car and gets into the driver's seat before starting down the dirt road from our cottage.

We drive for a while, the radio playing quietly along with our synchronized breaths.

"How long do we have?", I ask.

He reaches over and grabs my hand again with the one not needed to steer the car. I lace my fingers with him and he brings our hands to his mouth and kisses each one of my knuckles.

"We have forever, Y/n."

"Nothing lasts forever", I say, my voice barely more than a whisper. "You always leave and I hate when you're gone. When will it be forever, Spencer?"

"It'll be forever when we get where we're going", he says with a soft smile.

"How will we know when we get there?"

"We'll feel it. It'll feel like we're finally whole like we've completed our journey and we can stop running. After we've burned it down, we'll be left in the ashes. That's when we know we've made it."

I look out of my window at the fields of flowers that we pass, and when I turn back, the driver's seat is empty.

He left again, but the car is still moving; the wheel still turns and we maintain speed. The worst thing is that the world doesn't freeze when Spencer leaves, but mine does.