Practice

I walked into charms class, only to see NEW SEATING ARRANGEMENTS written in bold letters on the chalkboard. I crossed my fingers hoping he seats me next to June, but upon taking a quick glance at the seating chart, my prayers remained unanswered. I spotted my name in the back of the class, and next to it was a name that made my blood boil. Oliver Wood.

"Professor Flitwick?" I looked up at the small man sitting next to the desk.

"Yes, dear?" He looked up, his friendly eyes glimmering from behind his round spectacles.

"Could I possibly sit somewhere else?" I asked.

"What for?" He looked at me quizzically.

"Well, I don't really like my table partner..." I said in a small voice.

"Well, you better start trying." Flitwick chuckled, shooing me off to my seat.

I begrudgingly sat down at the table, laying my head down into my arms.

I heard Oliver sit down next to me only a few minutes later.

"Hey Stone." I heard his voice. "Ready for your match on Saturday?"

"I'm not even worried." I grinned, lifting my head out of my arms. "It's Hufflepuff."

"You seem pretty cocky for a beginner," Oliver smirked, crossing his arms.

"Talking about cocky beginners, don't think I forgot how you took a bludger to your head on your first match." I cackled victoriously, watching Oliver's cheeks glow red.

"That was one time." He grumbled. "Look I wanted to propose something."

"Oh my, I never thought you would ask! Yes, you can take my hand in marriage!" I threw my hands to my mouth, in mock excitement.

"Someday my dear, but in this case, not what I was going to ask." Oliver snickered.

"Pity, I was already planning the kind of poison I would sneak into your morning tea." I shrugged, slouching back into my chair.

"I'm sure you would make an excellent widow," Oliver gave a little laugh. "But I was going to suggest we hold a joint practice."

"Is this a weird trick to spy on our strategy?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

"No, I just thought winning a mock game would be a nice morale boost for my team." Oliver snickered.

"Oh, you're on Woody-kins." I snarled. "Tomorrow morning, six am sharp."

"You've got yourself a date sweetheart," Oliver said, leaning back over his paper.

~~~~

It was a cold morning, frost peppered the morning ground, making it appear as though it had just lightly snowed. Even in the changing rooms, I could make out my breath in contrast to the room.

"Alright team, play like it's the real thing, and make sure we crush them," I said, pulling on the last of my quidditch uniform.

I looked around at my teammates. They were all looking rather tired, and to be fair it was very early in the morning.

"Stone you are going to kill us." Roger Davies, a second-year chaser who I suspected would be captain eventually, groaned, encouraging groans from the rest of the team.

"Oh come on, this is good practice for Saturday," I said. "You joined this team to work hard, not to complain."

We stepped onto the field at six o'clock sharp, to find the Gryffindor team already waiting.