Lockhart

I took a seat in the back of the class, quickly followed by June and Lori. June's bright red pixie looked dishevelled and her eye bags looked more prominent than ever. If I hadn't known better I would've thought she was hit by a bus. Truth is, she stayed up all night reading some eighteenth-century muggle book despite my multiple attempts to get her to sleep. Lori on the other hand looked bright and chipper, chatting away with a few other Slytherins in front of us. I could see why Elio chose to date her. She was very pretty, with doughy blue eyes, strawberry blonde hair, and a smile with slightly crooked canines, giving her the look of innocence. I unenthusiastically unpacked my book. From experience, the first days were always boring.

"Our teacher this year is so cute!" Squeaked Lori, turning to face me. "Quite noble too."

"Oh please, he's just a stuck up asshole from what I can tell." Groaned June from the table over, burying her head in her arms.

"Well have you read his books?" Lori huffed, "He has things to be proud of."

"A load of rubbish, I'll tell you that," June mumbled, clearly too tired to argue.

"Say, what do you think Y/n?" Lori turned back to me for support.

"To be honest I don't really know." I shrugged, not wanting to side with either one. "Never really looked into it."

"Elio and I read one of his books together over the summer." She sighed contently. "Simply magical."

I glanced at my old watch, it's tethered leather band sitting tightly on my wrist. The class was to start that very minute, but no sight of our professor.

"Welcome students," A booming voice rang out across the room, startling nearly everyone sitting in it, "To your 6th year Advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts!"

The front of the class filled up with a kind of smog and out stepped a weirdly polished looking man.

"I am your new professor this year," He cleared his throat. "I'm sure I needn't to introduce myself as many of you are such loyal fans, but my name is Gilderoy Lockhart, recipient of the Order of Merlin, Third Class; Honorary member of the Dark Force Defence League; And," He flashed us a wide grin showcasing his perfectly straight teeth, "five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award."

Multiple girls in the class clapped, including Lori, who looked wholly enamoured. June on the other hand looked repulsed, and her top lip curled in a barely noticeable sneer.

"Humble isn't he?" I whispered to her, receiving a snicker in return.

"But I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!" He stated diplomatically, a wave of laughter sweeping through the female part of the class.

"Great, we're stuck with this arsehole." June sighed quietly, rubbing her temples.

"He's not..." I struggled to say the words, "That bad?"

"Ah well, I see you've all bought a complete set of my books." Lockhart smiled jovially, clapping his hands together. "I thought we'd start off the day with a quick little quiz, nothing too bad, just a check-in to see where everyone is at."

When he handed out the papers and returned to the front of the class, he permitted us to look at the test. I felt my eyes widen as I read the following;1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favourite colour? 2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition? 3. What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date? On and on it went, over three sides of paper, right down to:54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his ideal gift be?I cast a sideways look at June, who too was staring at the paper incredulously.Half an hour later, Lockhart collected the papers and rifled through them in front of the class.