A Sour Date

The rest of the week I spent sulking around, diving deep into quidditch practices, and trying my hardest to avoid Flint in the halls, because he made it a point to wink at me or try and talk every time I saw him. My whole team felt bad for me and were nice enough to make distractions for me to get away whenever Marcus approached.

"If I hadn't known better, I'd have thought you're avoiding me," Flint said after cornering me in the library Wednesday after school.

"Why would I be doing that?" I chuckled nervously.

"That's what I thought," Marcus said, giving a satisfied nod. "We're still on for Sunday right?"

"Actually-"

"Perfect." He smirked, "Well I've got to go, but I'll talk to you later."

I watched him disappear, letting out a sigh of relief that he didn't choose to stick around for longer.

"Excited for your date?" I heard a Scottish voice behind me.

"Yes, very." I snapped, turning around to find myself face to face with Oliver.

"Seems like it." He chuckled softly. "Why don't you just tell him no?"

"Why would I do that?" I asked, putting my hand on my hip.

"Because you don't want to go with him?" Oliver said incredulously.

"And what if I do?" I said hastily, not wanting to admit Oliver's rightness to him.

"But you don't." He cocked his head to the side, watching me with curiosity.

"But I do," I said defiantly. "I think Marcus has a charming personality."

"Really?" Oliver tittered, "I guess your expression of adoration is very similar to the expression of disgust."

"Jealous Wood?" I said, playfully pouting.

"Of what? A date with an ogre?" He sneered, with what seemed to be genuine disgust.

"Better than a date with you." I retorted.

"Whatever floats your boat Stone." He gave me a short smile before turning on his heel and walking off.

I watched him leave the library and felt pure anger at the fact that he was right.

~~~~

"You could still say no to the date," Oliver said nonchalantly while jotting down something from our textbook.

"I want to go," I said, staring at my own barely started notes.

"Oh please, who do you think you're fooling?" Oliver snickered, "You hate the bloke more than you hate me."

"Well not anymore." I huffed, cringing at the very words.

"So you're telling me you like him now?" I could hear the smile seeping through Oliver's voice.

"Well, that's why I'm going on a date with him." I sneered. "To find out."

"I just don't see a pretty girl like you going with a lad like Flint." Oliver continued to snicker.

"Oh, well, unlike someone, I judge people based on personality." I shot Wood a death glare, only to be met with his usual smirk.

"Well, first of all, Flint has the personality of a mountain troll, and you know this as well as anyone else." He grinned harder, much to my annoyance, "But also, are you insinuating that I'm shallow?"

"So what if I am?" I snarled, "You've dated like 3 girls within the last year, and none of them seemed to last you even a week."

Oliver's grin faltered only for a moment, "Well if you would like to know, they were the ones to ask me out, and I dumped them only after finding out that they didn't actually know anything about me, or cared about any of my interests."