CHAPTER 14

Amal Pov

I was so exhausted when I came back home. Abba had asked me about the equipment and I had lied that Mr... Jalal's Secretary said he wasn't around, my dad had bought the idea and said he was going to get the equipment himself which sounded nice. I had even told ummah that I lost my phone today while talking to ummaimah today and that she was getting Married, To be sincere ummah had liked the news and had even gone far at mocking me about my future husband.

I was happy that all the made-up stories had worked until I heard the sound of our gate open. I had decided to check through our parlor window and to my ultimate horror it was Amar, what was he doing here? How did he get my address?

I didn't wait for a second thought as I rushed to the kitchen and told Aaliyah to check the person on the door because I needed to use the toilet. I wasn't using the restroom. So, I decided to stay in my room for a bit before heading downstairs.

I was still in my room when I heard my mum screaming my name. I immediately went to my dad's room and told him the man he had wanted me to collect some equipment with had stopped by before heading downstairs.

I decided to tiptoe into the kitchen. Immediately I entered the kitchen, Aliyah wouldn't stop telling me how handsome our visitor was and that he had said he came to see her big sister. My reply was that? "He is joking, he is the man I went to meet to get dad's equipment fah," I said making my mum stare at me suspiciously.

Aliyah couldn't stop peeping through the kitchen door. She kept eavesdropping on what dad was saying to the visitor, ummah had told her to stop, and that it was a really bad habit but she wouldn't listen. "Amal, you should take this food to the guest." She had ordered but surrayah my savior, my mum's phone started beeping at that very moment.

I overheard ummah telling Aliyah to give her a hand to the parlor. I instantly felt so much relief all over my body, I looked at my mum's phone before swapping the agree to button. "Shegiya ina Kika ajiye wayanki?" ("Idiot where did you keep your phone.") Surrayah said over the phone.

"Surrayah don't tell me you were the one who gave my address out?" I asked with a wide frown on my face. "Ke, A lady called my phone telling me she was your friend and that you have left your phone in her office and needed to return your phone to you, tab so nayi lepi?" She asked through the other line.

I was speechless at that moment. "I am sorry for saying that to you," I try to apologize. "Ator! better, I was just checking on you if you are fine. And since you are okay I am going, bye." She said hanging up and making me feel guilty. "God? I am such a fool." I muttered before going into the kitchen.

"Amal, Aliyah has gone to perform abolition to pray, and this is the last thing I haven't taken to the parlor yet," Ummah said pointing at the water. "But ummah..." I tried to say but she interrupted. "Don't ummah me, I don't want to hear a word from you. Just shut up and take the water to the guest," I didn't argue any further as I took the tray and kept mumbling things to myself, but thank God she couldn't hear me or I was seriously going to die.

As I held the tray of water. Only God could tell how shaky I was, one could think I was being controlled by an electric remote. I instantly dropped the tray on the floor to adjust my hijab so it can close my face from seeing Amar annoying face, he had so much gut to get my address and show his face in my house.

When I was done adjusting my hijab. I picked the tray and head to the parlor, on entering the parlor I overhead Amar conversation with my dad about him taking a liking on one of his daughters, And just like that, my tray had dropped on the ground and the glass cup went shattering the tiles,

"Amal, what is wrong with you? Just a single cup of water. seriously, I am disappointed." Abba had said making little tears drip down my chin, why was Abba going to say this in front of Amar?

I decided to get a broom from the kitchen as tears came dripping hard. Luckily I met Aliyah on the way and told her to get a broom and pack the mess I made in the parlor while I pray upstairs, it felt like she was pleased about it as she nodded in agreement.

I didn't know why but I jumped on my bed and dragged my pillow to weep on it, And just like that, I wished I never met Amar.