Mara

Going into the ice cream shop, I'm delighted by all the colors. The human realm is magnificent, what I wouldn't give to be apart of it.

     Sure they can't see my devilish horns, and they never question my red eyes or midnight blue hair. I probably seem like a gothic satanist, it's ironic really. 

     Standing in line I get a few curious glances, but nothing more. If my father new what I was doing right now he'd fall from him humongous throne and land right on his face. What a sight that would be. I almost chuckle at the thought, but I stop myself, no need to add crazy to my goth girl vibes.

     With only one person in the line ahead of me I start thinking of my options. Chocolate chip cookie dough is always a crowd pleaser I've been told. But looking at the menu, one of the flavors is calling out to me, it just looks so good. Even better than human flesh. I kid I kid, human flesh? I am no ghoul.  I laugh internally at my lame joke.

     I step up to the counter with my order in mind, the cashier looks me up and down, before talking.

     "Wait! Let me guess...you look pretty hard core with your hair and red eyes," he says while motioning towards me, this should be fun. "Hmm, I'm thinking rocky road? Am I right?" I chuckle to myself, remembering the first time I had chocolate ice cream, that was not a pleasant experience.

     "Um no," I say with humor in my voice. "I would like the marshmallow rainbow swirl please, 3 scopes." I swear he almost dropped his jaw.

     "You know that's a kids ice cream right? Like it's mad sweet." He says all serious like, which is a comical expression given his red and white striped hat and apron. 

     "I love sweets, and anything rainbow. So how much will that be?" I ask, eager for my cone. He just shakes his head and inputs my order into his computer thing.

     "A triple decker marshmallow rainbow swirl?" He double checks as if I will spontaneously change my mind. He's getting kind of annoying now, I just want my ice cream.

     "Yes please." I confirm politely. I was not raised to ask for things, or use manors, I was raised to take what I wanted when I wanted to. And with how slow this dude is being, I almost consider following my fathers advice. But alas he is the last person I want to end up like. So I must use my manors, and wait patiently, like the humans, people I envy most.

     "Alrrrighhty then," the cashier says in an annoying cartoon character voice. "That comes up to, two dollars, and ninety cents, would you like to donate a dollar to the fundraiser we are doing for the local animal shelter?"

     "Of course! Actually would it be ok if I donated ten dollars?" I ask thinking fondly of my cat Dice I got just months ago from there.

     "Sure, I'm positive that the shelter will be greatful for your donation!" He says overly enthusiastically, while imputing that into the computer. After paying in cash, I head over to where I'm supposed to get my ice cream, while looking at all the flavors on display.

     "The triple decker, marshmallow swirl for, Mara?" Calls out one of the other workers. Pealing my eyes away from the fascinating ice cream display I raise my hand.

     "That's for me, thank you!" I say grabbing the delicious looking cone in my hands. 

     I almost start to sit down at one of the booths in the corner of the shop, before I remember that I need to get home to feed Dice. She must be lonely after being at home alone all day. But I unfortunately have bills and rent to pay, and working at a retail store part time, doesn't cut it. So today I went out job hunting. It was actually pretty fun, and tomorrow I have an interview with a big fancy company in need of a secretary. It will probably be a boring job, but they pay well so I don't mind.

     I start thinking of the things I should say at the interview as I head to the door. Sasha, the manager at the retail store I work at, said she will vouch for me, but I need to put together a resume of some sort.

     I push the door open, preparing myself for the hot California air. Stepping through though, I'm met with a completely neutral temperature, unnaturally so for California, even for it being mid fall. But looking around at the my new surroundings, I realize that the weather is the least of my concerns.

_________________________________________

A/N

Thanks for reading this far!! I hope you like the book, I know it's kind of confusing, but things will start to clear up soon!!

Sooo.. whose your fav character so far? I love Harper, I think she's pretty hilarious.

Any who please leave comments, and tell me if there are any errors!! Thanks 🙏