eighteen.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN ❝ you are not alone

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
❝ you are not alone. ❞

TIME PASSED BY QUICKLY AND it was already mid-autumn, Midorima Shizuka's favorite season. She's currently walking in the middle of a maple forest, her pastel green hair contrasting with the charming red leaves. The wind fell past gently as she pulled her light brown cardigan closer. The temperature is also getting colder each day. 

Many events have passed, such as the death of Asuma, Naruto who has mastered his new jutsu, Orochimaru's death, Itachi Uchiha's death, and many more. Most of it is an occasional death. It's nothing new in this ninja world.

After the Summer Festival, Shizuka also felt something strange about Uzumaki Naruto. Somehow he likes to call her. Then tell her to accompany the boy to eat or practice together.

But she didn't say that she did enjoy it though.

Shizuka had arrived at the Hokage's office, she opened it, noticing that there were only Tsunade, Sakura, Shizune, Yamato, and two toads. That made her frown in confusion, she also saw a giant toad outside the building.

Shizuka instantly had a bad feeling.

"Good, now we just need to wait for Naruto and Kakashi," said Tsunade.

A few minutes later, the two of them entered. "Is that kid Jiraiya-chan's student?" the older toad asked, staring at Naruto.

"Yes, this is Uzumaki Naruto," Tsunade confirmed, politely.

"I'll just get to the point," the elder exhaled heavily before giving Naruto a serious stare. "Jiraiya-chan was killed in the battle."

Everyone fell silent, the atmosphere in the room immediately felt heavy, and Shizuka automatically glanced at Naruto who looked taken back by it. "What, what did you say?"

"I know that this is very sudden so I understand if you don't believe me," he said calmly. "for some time now rumors have been circulating that the leader of the Akatsuki was operating out of the Rain Village, so Jiraiya-chan went there in person to verify whether these rumors were true."

"The leader of the Akatsuki was in the Hidden Rain Village?" asked Sakura in disbelief.

"As I recall, that village is difficult to infiltrate. A village closed to the outside world," Sai recalled, who was given a nod of agreement from Shizuka and Yamato.

"Yes, however, Jiraiya-sama was skilled in infiltration and espionage tactics," Kakashi spoke.

Yes, but he used that skill to spy on women...

"Exactly," Fukasaku continues. "Jiraiya-chan encountered with Pain, the Akatsuki leader. However, Pain was one of Jiraiya-chan's former students from many many years ago."

"Still, to corner such a great shinobi like Jiraiya-sama is..." Kakashi mumbled beside her. "Just what the hell is this 'Pain'?"

"I don't know the particulars but he called him Nagato," said Fukasaku, before giving them a death stare. "And he possesses the Rinnegan."