Chapter 8: Sleep well, Caramel

Scarlet POV

After the birthday surprise for Cassandra, I dragged her, leaving behind those guys on the rooftop. Not long after that, we were in the room. I need to feed her with my updates for the past few days, especially about the café.

"I feel like there is something that you are hiding from me." She started to speak suspiciously.

"Sort of, but don't get mad. I will spill the beans tonight." I raised my hand defending myself.

I sighed, not sure where to begin. "I don't even know where I should start," I told her honestly.

"We have plenty of time so you can take it slowly anyway. I'm all ears."

"Ok, let me start with my mom." I gazed at her, looking at her reaction.

"Your mom? It had been years. What happened?"

"She came to the café last few weeks. I knew she was bad news but I'm still expecting something good from her. But then, she dropped me a bomb, my stepdad urgently needs to settle his debt due to gambling. So, there goes the pathetic story which she doesn't have a choice but to sell the house."

"You mean the old family house?"

"Pathetically, yes, and guess what? She asked me to sacrifice my café so that the money will save them from selling off the house. It's like my café is the first thing that she can think of."

"Don't tell me you sold it?" From the way she gawked at me, I knew she expected me to shake my head but I nodded my head instead, like a loser. I noticed how she closed her eyes in a brief moment as the disappointment hit her.

She moved closer, adjusting her position beside me squeezing my hand in a soothing manner.

"I know it is hard for you but why don't you tell me about this earlier. I know how important that house and the café to you. So, now you lost the café but you still have the house?" She confirmed.

"And here is another story that will make you shock."

"I hope I won't get a heart attack on my birthday." She said which made me laughed.

"Actually, before I pass the money to my mom, she told me that someone helped my stepdad to clear his debt so the house was secure. But, I was late for the café. I asked Mr. Brian's help to sell it and the second day it was bought by someone. So, I'm no longer the owner of the café. That was one of the reasons I'm here; to negotiate with the new owner about the café."

"Oh, the owner is from here? Have you met the owner then?"

I nodded before answering her, "Surprisingly, you have met the new owner too." She looked at me with knitted brows and confusion was written on her face, clearly.

"I know this owner?" She was bewildered.

"Yes, he was here with us a moment ago." I gave her a clue. She slightly tilted her head to think about that person.

"Miguel?"

"How you know?" She guessed it right, just in a few seconds. I eyed her with an amused look.

She grinned a bit. "Well, I noticed he treated you differently. It's like you two met before this. Am I right?"

"It was hard to accept the fact but unfortunately that's the bitter truth." I sighed, as the memories about him played in my head.

"Wow, that's amazing."

"Amazing? This is a disaster."

"Why? He is not bad, you know. All of them treated me nicely. You will like them too if you were here longer." She defended them.