Chapter 33: You got your temper

Miguel POV

I sat on the couch in the living room and observed Caramel stroll lazily from her bedroom in a half-asleep state. Her long brown hair was a bit messy, and she was in her white pajama. She walked to the kitchen and filled the empty glass with mineral water before gulping on it. She doesn't aware that I was scrutinizing her.

"Good morning, Caramel." I greeted her and that caused her to freeze. Her eyes were fluttered open and her beautiful eyes scanned through the room until it landed on me.

"How could I forget that there's an intruder in my apartment." She mocked without having any intention to hide the irritation look on her face.

"I'm not an intruder. I stayed here with permission, remember?" And, of course, that made her show her annoying face more.

"When are you leaving anyway?" She crossed her arms on her chest. I brought myself closer to her.

"I told you last night, not until you talk to me about everything." I stood across her.

"Suit yourself; I don't want to repeat myself." Just like last night, she pushed me away. I grabbed her by her wrist and forced her to face me.

"I hope I don't have to force this out from your mouth, Caramel," I whispered near her ears. She slapped my hand and pushed me for the second time.

"Whatever, Miguel." She slammed the door again.

"Okay, let's see." I challenged.

Café

"Why are you following me to the café? Don't you have other things to do or other places to go?" We walked side to side to the café from the apartment.

"I'm going to help you since I'm free. I'm here for you, not for any business matter."

"I don't need your help, Miguel."

"I know but I'm volunteering myself. Don't worry about the payment."

"How about your job? Are you taking off?"

"Don't worry about that, I'm the boss. At least, no one will question my absence."

"Well, I'm not, and please don't distract my focus on my work."

"Is that a compliment?" She peered at me with knitted brows.

"What?"

"You said I'm your distraction. Meaning, my presence here is affecting you." She halted her steps and inhaled a deep breath in an effort to calm down.

"You're so full of yourself. Don't flatter yourself." She spat.

"I'm always full, Caramel, especially when it comes to you."

"I'm tired of talking to you."

"If you stop bickering with me and talk to me nicely, you won't feel tired."

"Not in my to-do-list." She refused.

We arrived at the café after a while of walking and bickering along the way. It was nice despite the effort to convince her to talk to me. I helped her to open the café and do the cleaning. She refused my help at first but I insisted and at last, she gave up. The café was fully occupied in the morning and I'm glad that it was one of the popular cafés in the town.

"Michael, I will join Scarlet upstairs. Just call us if you need a hand here, alright?" He nodded and soon resumed his work, serving the customer at the counter. The decreasing amount of customers allowedus to have time for a late breakfast.

I walked to the top floor and immediately caught the side of Caramel at her usual place; the table which my eyes noticing her presence for the first time.

"Nothing chance and you're still the same you, with coffee caramel." I break the silence. She ignored me while busy scrolling her phone.

"It's rude not to have eye contact when someone is talking to you, Caramel," I begged for her attention, but she pretended like I was an invisible person. I sighed before snatching the phone away from her.

"Hey, give me back the phone. You're so childish." She scolded but I shook my head ignoring her words.

"Not until you talk to me." I shoved her phone in my pocket.

"Damn it!" She balled her fist and looks at me with anger fuming out from her.

"Language, Caramel. I see you got your temper now," I smirked, irritating her more.

"What do you want to know?"

"Tell me what happened the day before you leave me." I crossed my hands and rested my back on the chair. She started to play with the cup in front of her and avoided eye contact.

"Your mom, I mean your stepmom, she asked me to meet her, and we just talk about a few things."

"Enlighten that few things, Caramel."

"Nothing much, she asked me to leave you." She slightly tilted her head, peeping at my reaction.

"And you fulfill her request, just like that?"

"Yeah, of course. What do you expect me to do then? Telling you everything? She threatened my family, for God's sake!"

"You should tell me," I moved my body closer to her and rested my hands on her palm.

"It's not a big issue."

"Not big enough to the extent where you running away from the city and pretended that you were in a relationship with your admirer? You never noticed how much I suffered because of your childish decision. You always escaped when you can't handle the situation. For once Caramel learns to face it, ask for any explanation, and find the truth about the whole situation." I pulled my hands away from her. I was furious knowing that she took everything lightly as if I'm not someone worthy.

"I-not-"

"Maybe you were right; this is the best for both of us. I should leave this place." I stood up from my seat and the shock on her face didn't go unnoticed. I knew she was surprised by my sudden outburst.

"I will book my flight and going back to New York if that's what you want, Caramel. I won't disturb you anymore and I promised that you will never see me or hear anything from me anymore. I hope you have a great life. Goodbye, Caramel. Take good care of yourself." I placed her phone on the table.

I didn't wait for her response and walked away from her, leaving her behind. I immediately headed towards the door and thinking about packing my belonging and leave the city.

*******************************