𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 4 - 𝙷𝚊𝚗 𝚈/𝙽

Christmas Eve, 12 years ago 

Oh, how great it felt to wait for the Christmas gifts, to hope for Santa Claus to come as I spied on him and wished to get a glance of his actual appearance. Even on that night when I was seven, I waited and waited for him, but just as always, I fell asleep. 

Until I heard a crashing sound coming from the outside that woke me up, with my eyes widely agape from the frightening sound. I stood up from the couch that was near the Christmas tree and saw that there were already presents under the tree. Glancing up at the clock, I saw that it was 1 AM and the first thing I knew was that something serious happened outside and that Santa Claus had already visited here.

With a certain fear in her heart, Y/N jogged down the stairs of her house, trying not to make her steps heavy and avoid any type of extremely loud noise. She gently opened the wooden door of her house that even on the outside, was decorated in beautiful lights, and Christmas decorations. She stepped on the stone-made, grey door-step of her house, only to see a familiar car and another one, smoke around them as a terrible smell reached Y/N's nostrils. The cars were crushed into each other and as she walked towards them, with all of her heart, she hoped that it was not the car she had thought of. 

As she got closer to the cars, the smoke became less thick and her muscles tensed more. She was terrified as she had just supposedly witnessed a really bad-looking car crash. Leaning towards the window of the familiar dark-blue-grey-ish Ford, she saw her parents, and she instantly jointed back at the sight. Her mother's head was leaned against the seat as blood rushed out of the sides of her forehead, her eyes closed. On the other side, in the driver's seat, her dad's head was leaned against the now, rimmed in blood window.

Y/N distanced herself more from them, and from the miserably terrifying sight. She needed to know what had happened, but more importantly, she had to call an ambulance. Luckily Y/N was sane enough to run back into her house and call an ambulance as so many thoughts filled her mind. 

As she spoke on the phone with the man that was supposedly the one who'd have to pick up information about emergencies, she walked towards the other car and saw two completely unknown people to her. After she hung up the phone, she dropped onto the ground and leaned against the pole that was near to the two cars that just crashed. Her thoughts driving her completely insane while waiting for the saviours that we call 'ambulance'.

Why were they out so late? I clearly remember that we ate dinner and talked until ten PM, what time did I fall asleep in my attempt to stalk Santa? And what time did they leave? What's the car crash and why did it happen right in front of our house? Who are those people and was it intentional?

Y/N kept on coming up with a variety of options and explanations for this car crash. She waited and waited for the ambulance, but her thoughts were so strong against her that when she heard the sirene of the ambulance she snapped out of her thoughts. As she got up, she noticed the wetness on her cheeks, of course, she'd be crying... she was seven and her parents were bleeding right before her eyes, what'd you expect?

A man rushed up to her and asked, "Hello! Are you the person that reported this car accident?" she nodded, her eyes looking at him with exhaustion manifested clearly, "Are you a person passing by or are you perhaps related to anyone involved?" Y/N pointed at the Ford and huskily said, 

"That car... my parents are in there..." his expression dropped even more when he suddenly realized how young the girl was. He hadn't really paid attention to that since he was more worried about rescuing the patients. 

"Okay then, let's go!" he grabbed her hand in a rush and helped to sit in the huge van as she saw her parents already inside with an oxygen mask over their mouths. "Are you hurt too?" he asked again as he buckled her belt for her as well as his own. She shook her head giving him a weak smile as she felt some certain numbness trapping her heart and her face. She was just unable to express her sadness on her face and sometimes she even came to think that she felt completely nothing. She felt blank and empty.

...

Y/N had been sitting outside the emergency room for hours already and after a long time, she noticed her grandma and uncle running from the end of the hallway. She had been seated in the blue, plastic chair for hours, now she couldn't feel her butt at all. 

"Oh, My God! Y/N! What happened? My dear are you okay?!?" she frantically grabbed Y/N's cheeks and checked every single feature on her face to make sure it was untouched. 

Ah, how nice it felt and it still feels to this very present day... grandma has always cared about me the most... at least I had and I still have her in my life.

"Calm down, calm down, ma! Can't you see she's probably triggered and traumatized?!?" Shinjae, Y/N's uncle, pulled her grandma away from her as he smiled apologetically. "You must've seen horrifying stuff today, Y/N you should go to sleep, we'll inform you if anything happens..." he helped his mother, Y/N's grandma, to sit on the seat next to her. "Wait here, ma, okay? I'll find her a room where she can sleep..." 

"Okay..." the old woman nodded and stared at the white door of the emergency room with a clenched heart. Meanwhile, Y/N's uncle dragged Y/N to his mother's doctor's room, there was a comfortable leather couch and he was sure the doctor was kind enough to let her take a nap.

As soon as she had permission, she plopped herself onto the comfortable couch and even though her mind was full of thoughts, her body was exhausted. She didn't want to sleep, she needed to sleep and that's why she involuntarily shut her eyes almost right after landing on the couch.

...

Y/N had woken up, she had no idea what time it was and it took her a while to realize what happened last night. Sitting u in a swift motion, Y/N realized she was alone in the unfamiliar room, so she rushed to the hallway where the emergency room was. She saw a doctor coming out with tired eyes and bloody, white gloves on his hands as he held them up just before his chest. Y/N's uncle nervously turned around when he noticed the doctor staring at her and he signalled her to come. 

"The surgery was unsuccessful... it hurts my heart and pride as a doctor knowing that we couldn't do anything to save them. I offer you my deepest and most sincere apologies." he bowed to the two figures standing before him and to the grandma that was completely shocked as she sat on the very same blue chair as the previous day. She instantly fainted and her uncle rushed up to her as Y/N just simply dropped onto her knees.

What a great Christmas... she thought as she cried on the floor, leaving her uncle just freaking out beside her since grandma had fainted. What a mess...

I hate how today Christmas is such a beautiful Holiday, but at the same time, it's one of the worse...

To be continued...

Published for the first time: November 13th 2020

[Edited Date: December 22nd 2020]

-Jɪᴍɪɴᴀɴᴅʜɪsᴊᴀᴍs 💜