twenty three

Tom started to learn how to play the piano. It made him think of her. She had always crossed his mind. He missed her so much.

He wrote his own songs. Every song that he wrote was for her. It was all about her. He sat in front of the piano. Tom flipped the song book pages over pages. He stopped when he saw a song that he wrote a week ago. He named it, "Cherry".

"Don't you call him baby
We're not talking lately
Don't you call him what you used to call me

I, I confess
I can tell that you are at your best
I'm selfish so I'm hating it

I notice that
There's a piece of you in how I dress
Take it as a compliment

Don't you call him baby
We're not talking lately
Don't you call him what you used to call me

I, I just miss
I just miss your accent and your friends
Did you know I still talk to them?

Does he take you walking round his parents gallery?

Don't you call him baby
We're not talking lately
Don't you call him what you used to call me"

He knew that maybe Celeste was living her best life out there. She probably had already been married with someone else. The thought made him mad. But it was his fault. He let her go. He had realized. He fell in love with her too. But it was too late. And he had to live with that guilt and torture.

His mother soon realized that her son fell in love. She knew something was wrong. "So who's the girl?"

Tom startled. He didn't even realize that his mother was there with him.

"No one." Tom said..

"It's okay Tom, you can tell me."

He sighed. He knew he couldn't push her away. One way or another, her mother would always found out. "Lavender brown. That's her name." Tom said. He wanted to say her name. But he couldn't. It was like something was holding him back. Probably, guilt.

"Celeste Ruby Nolan. Is that what you wanted to say?"

He was shocked. He hadn't heard her name for over five years. Her name rhymed in his mind, repeating over and over again. All of the sudden, he saw her face. He heard her voice and laughter. He smelled her perfume. The memory came running back to her. It made his heart ache.

"How? How do you know her?"

"I'm a different witch, son. I know more than eyes can see."

He realized now. "I sent her away. I told her that i don't wanna see her again. She loved me, but i was too scared that i will hurt her. Besides, i'm heartless right? I can't feel love. I don't understand what i feel now." He said.

"No, son. It means the loophole that i created works."

Tom was confused. He couldn't fathom that information. "What do you mean, mom?"

"When i found out that i'm having you, i also found out about the love potion curse. 'Those who are born under the love potion's influence, shall not feel love.' I knew i made a mistake. So, i created a loophole for your own good. And in order to created the loophole, i had to stop giving your dad the love potion. And i had to let him go."

Tom shooked his head. "I still don't get it."

"In order for the loophole to works, it didn't only required your dad leaving. But i also had to write down a name, someone that will break the curse. I wrote down Celeste Ruby Nolan. That's why when you met her, that's why you fell in love with her. You are destined to be with her. She is the key to break the curse. She is the only one who can make you feel love."

"So, it was a fate that our path crossed?"

His mother smiled. "Technically, yes. But only to break the curse. It should only lasted for three days. But if you still feel love for her after five years, that means not only the curse had broken, it means you're really fall in love with her."

It was too much for him. So the feelings were real all this time? He really had fallen in love with her? He had his chance but he broke it. "But, i don't get it. Why did you do it, mom? You let your husband left you just to create a loophole for me?" He asked.

His mother sobbed. She smiled. "I did it because you are my son and i love you more than anything in this world. I don't mind losing everything, but not you. For you, i'd do everything, Tom."

He cried. For the second time. He hugged his mother so tight. So he knew now. He knew what love is. How good it felt. How painful it could be sometimes. He would never want to deny it ever again. He loved his mother. And he loved Celeste.

"Thank you, mom."

His mother wiped his tears away. "Now, answer me. Do you love her?"

He didn't have to think about it. He nodded. "Yes. I do love her so much. I don't want to lose her."

His mother smiled. "Go. Come and get her, before it's too late."

Then her words made him think. "But what if i'm too late?" He asked.

"You will regret even more if you don't go looking for her, Tom. You have to make sure."

Her mother was right. He needed to know for sure. On his way, he hoped for the best.

~