Society Norms

Jungkook P.V.

"Hello... it's nice to meet you my name is Jeon Jungkook. I just transferred from Korea and will be your new classmate."

It was the typical way I would introduce myself in Korea and yet the only look I saw from y/n was irritation. She looked upset almost as if she was displeased. There is no way she would be this upset with seeing me. It does not make sense we are soulmates so she should not be upset with me. Yet she is.

"There is no way I am giving him a tour around our school. Impossible not him."

The teacher looks at her surprised and smiles, "Y/n are you alright? You normally don't act like this with new students, what's going on?"

Y/n looks at the teacher and sighs before placing a fake smile, "I...I guess you're right. I will give him a tour of our school. Is there any specific location I should take him, professor?"

"Take him to the art room. Based on his transcript he has a good hand for art."

She stares at me up and down and sighs, "To the art room first it shall be."

I walk towards her and hold the door she goes through looking roughly annoyed. The walk was silent.

Is this supposed to be the tour.

"So I guess you are new to Miami. I hope you are adjusting to it well." She whispers not looking towards me. She seems a little hostile but I decide to brush it off this is the nicest thing she has said to me.

"Thank you. It means a lot." I try to walk at a faster pace to catch up to her but she is always two steps ahead. Why does she seem so different from the other girls I've seen before. Is it because she actually is not interested in me, like everyone else is?

Even her back silhouette is enchanting making me want to know more about her.

"You're staring."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to feel like an inconvenience."

"Um...just tell me if I'm walking too fast." She slows down in order to be at the same pace as me. My heart skipped a beat. I noticed her string was almost right beside me. They were touching but yet our hands weren't.

"So about the-"

"The art room." She cuts me off and holds the door open so I can walk in. It was beautiful. The lighting was the sun shining in through the windows. It was bright and mesmerizing. I looked towards her and she was in shock as well.

"It's beautiful, isn't it." She says in a low tone. She begins to walk around and point at some paintings.

"Most of these paintings are done by our students and others by our teachers themselves. Most of the time we enter these paintings in an exhibition and they get elected for contests. Maybe if you are interested in joining the art team you can stay after school today to talk to their leader."

"And I'm guessing that's you."

She looked surprised and smiled, "I guess I can't hide my passion, can I?"

"It was pretty obvious at the pace you were going just to go to the art room."

She chuckled nervously and then continued walking towards a painting that is hidden under a white sheet, "This is my current project. It's still a work in progress but I will show it to you because maybe you will understand it."

She removes the sheet and shows an art about current society and the ideology about the red string being the way to live. Showing two people a boy and a girl holding hands yet with no red string attached and the world tied in a red string behind them being destroyed.

"Wow."

"You don't like it do you."

"It's just very deep. It goes against everything this society stands for."

"It's a norm you believe in and that's why you are not a fan of the work."

I stood silent. She's right I did not believe in this idea of no red string due to how all my family and friends have found their ideal through the strings. Yet she doesn't seem like she is part of the group that suffers, on the contrary, I believe she is the same or even normal.

I reach out for her hand but am immediately rejected as she brings it up to her chest, "Don't get ahead of yourself because I still don't believe in this whole soulmate thing."

She covers her art back with the sheet and walks back towards the door. I look at the work that was now covered by a sheet. She has it hidden because she knows not many people agree with her ideas. Yet she still draws it.

"You are a very mysterious girl you know that right?"

She shrugs and opens the door, "Let's go we still have a lot of rooms left and not enough time."

I follow behind her and she continues walking down the hall. She is talking about the classes, math, science, computer science, history, English, and electives that are optional to take. I know I have to pay attention to her. I promised my hyungs that I was going to do well studying here in Miami yet, knowing my soulmate is here is making my mind go crazy. 

"Jungkook."

Her voice brings me back into reality and I see that we have come to a pause, "Um I'm sorry can you repeat your question?"

She sighs, "I said do you have any questions regarding the tour I just gave you? Are you okay?"

"Yes. I was just daydreaming a little."

"Well if you continue daydreaming in this school you may end up behind. This school is fast-paced it's almost as if you were in a gym. Speaking of gym class it's in another building so you would have to leave this building to go to that one."

"Wait so we just walk out?"

"No silly we are directed by our gym teacher out across the gym since we are seniors most of the students just skip the class in order to go to the deli."

"Oh. But you don't do that right?"

"Of course not. I have more important things to do than to go to the deli for food."

I nod my head and smile, "You really are different than the others."

"Others?"

"The others in this society."

"I will take that as a compliment. Welcome to your senior year at BH Highschool, we are glad to have someone like you." 

-To be continued-