Chapter 1 - Dreamcatchers

I can feel a thin coat of sweat forming on my skin as my body temperature rises. As I fade in and out of consciousness I can make out two familiar voices that I recognize as my parents.

"John she doesn't look good... Her fever is dangerously high. We have to get her to a hospital!" pleaded mom.

"Honey, I am worried too but they aren't letting any ambulances drive through this storm. Our only option is to drive her there ourselves" said dad with concern evident in his voice.

"I'll get the keys and you can bring her to the car" retorted mom while making her way out the door of my room.

As my dad carefully lifts me up from the bed I whine in pain, my whole body feeling like it's on fire. As he makes his way down the stairs with me in his arms, my head starts pounding and a few tears leak out of my eyes. I lean my head on my dad's shoulder, not being able to hold its weight anymore.

"Shhh... don't cry baby we are almost there, just hang on" I can barely make out the sound of my dad's voice trying to soothe me. Through my blurry eyes, I can make out the outline of my brothers as we get to the living room, where all of them are huddled.

"Ezekiel, you and Evan are in charge. There are torches under the kitchen sink in the cupboard as well as some candles in case of a blackout. Please take care of your brothers and pay a close eye to Levi and Luca. They know something is wrong with their sister and are starting to get restless" dad instructed my eldest brothers.

"You can count on us dad. Are you sure you will be okay though? The storm is only getting worse and some of the roads are blocked" Evan said concerned.

"We have no choice son. We don't know how much longer she can last like this... Going to the hospital is our best bet right now" replied dad. At that moment mom came into the living room holding the car keys as well as all both of our jackets.

"We have to go now if we want to make it before all the roads are blocked." mom said, eyes alert and worried that softened as soon as she took in the trembling forms of her three youngest sons behind their older brothers.

She swiftly walked over and gave them a very tight hug. One they returned with as much strength as they could muster. She then turned to her third oldest son that was standing nearby, trying to be strong for his siblings. "Don't worry sweetheart. We'll be back before you know it" she told the 12-year-old.

I start coughing violently as a burning ache starts in my lungs and everyone's concerned gaze snaps to me.

"Mommy is Lulu gonna be ok?" asks a little voice that I know it's Luca's, one of my triplets.

"Everything is going to be just fine sweetheart, but we need to go now if we want to make it. We love you all so much..." mom said as she gave every one of my brothers a kiss.

"Alright, kiddos. I know it's hard but hopefully, it will only be a few hours and we'll be back before you know it. Try to go to sleep and the time will just fly past" my dad stated, trying to calm my anxious siblings down.