Chapter 6 - The Morgans

I hate sleeping. Some say that eyes are the windows to the soul, but in my case, it's dreams. More like nightmares, really. But they aren't windows. No. They are doors, left ajar, begging me to open them to see what's inside. And I always do. I see the same thing every time. Darkness swirling around a blob of light, offuscating it. Imprisoning it. The darkness I know to exist inside of me transformed into shadows. No matter how hard I fight it, I can't escape.

And then there are those rare nights, where there is no door. No darkness. Just a white void, to float in and forget my problems. My existence. Those are the ones I get when my brothers are with me. The bright light within them scares my shadows away, making them hide in the corners of my mind and out of view.

Right now, with Xander's alarm blaring in my ears, I don't want to wake up. A rare occurrence. The gears in my mind begin to turn at a sluggish and rusty pace. As I start gaining focus, I find myself being crushed by Alex's weight. He has a leg thrown over my body, and his arms circle me like a teddy bear, my head tucked under his chin. He doesn't even seem to hear his alarm, but I sure as hell do. And it's pissing me off.

"Lex..." I mumble against his chest while shaking him, only to be hugged more tightly in response.

"Xander" I try again, this time being a little more forceful. Still nothing. The only answer I got was his grumbling, but a few seconds later and he was asleep again. I let out a huff and lay back down.

I've been laying here for a few minutes now, trying to think of an escape plan when I see River walking past the door "Riv!" I shout at him. He must have heard the desperation in my voice, seeing as he came back. I see his eyebrows shoot up in a questioning way.

"Please, help! He has me in an iron grip and won't let go" I plead, using my most powerful weapon: the puppy dog eyes.

"It's too early in the morning to resist that face..." He groans as he looks into my violet, watery eyes "Give me a second" he says, quickly running out of the room.

A few seconds later and he is back with a blowhorn. Where the hell did he get that? "You might want to cover your ears" he warned me, a smirk dancing on his lips. I do as he says, and not even a second later, he presses the button. All of my brothers run in, curious as to what is going on.

On the positive side, Alex did wake up. On the negative side, however, he got such a scare that he took me with him when we fell off the bed. Worse than that was when he fell on top of me. His 200-pound skeleton weighing on my small one.

"You're crushing her, you Neanderthal! Get off!" Levi shouts at a disorientated Alex. He quickly shoves him aside, making sure I can breathe again.

"Air!" I wheeze in between coughs while glaring at an unbothered Xander.

"At least you are free now" River says with a shrug of his shoulders while I give him a deadpan look.

"I don't know if I want to hug you or punch you." I answer, genuinely torn. He did free me from the giant I like to call brother, but at what cost?