Epilogue

Well, this is it. The epilogue of Restoring The Balance. Sorry it's so short, I was running out of ideas for the perfect ending, which is actually a new beginning. I have one more story for Willow, but it might take me a while to figure out all the details.

Like the backstory, some songs, et cetera.

And no, my drawing above is NOT Poppy's mother (I intended to make her skin lighter).

“Princess Flower, it is my greatest honor as your queen, and as your mom, to present you with your gem! May it always shine as bright as your joyful spirit."

After the defeat of Callisto, Flower was able to have a proper Gem Day, after growing a new Troll Gem due to how much joy she felt knowing that the world was a much safer place. Of course, she wasn't able to stay awake for the after-party. She was only two, after all.

“I can't believe how far we've come, Branch," Poppy replied, carrying her to her pod. “I just wish we were able to do everything when we planned without having something ruin it."

“So do I," Branch admitted. “But now, our lives can go back to normal and Flower can grow up in a safe world."

“Yeah," Poppy agreed, tucking Flower into her crib. “It's too bad the Hippogriffs couldn't stay. They were very helpful."

“I know," Branch said, “but they're wild animals. They had to go find a new mountain or cliff to raise future generations."

Poppy nodded and smirked. “Speaking of future generations... Do you remember what you said the day after Flower's birthday?"

“That once we finished saving the world, we could try to have another baby," Branch answered.

Poppy nodded with a seductive look in her eyes. “So... how about we start now?"

“Well, when you put it that way..." Branch said in a low voice. He grabbed Poppy's waist, pulled her close, and leaned in for a kiss...

“Poppy? Branch?" Ash called out from outside the pod. “Have either of you seen Willow?"

“No, we haven't," Poppy replied. “Sorry, Ash."

“Yeah, she didn't even show up for the ceremony," Branch added. “It was weird, though. She's never missed something so important."

Suddenly, they noticed a flash of colorful light from the other side of the village. They followed it all the way to an old, familiar treehouse.

“The old Duckweed home?" Branch wondered. Poppy shrugged and they headed inside when they began to hear soft singing. In one of the empty rooms, Willow held onto her heart-shaped rainbow Troll Gem and sang a sad song.

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand

Six hundred minutes

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand

Moments so dear

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand

Six hundred minutes

How do you measure

Measure a year?

In daylights? In sunsets?

In midnights? In cups of coffee?

In inches? In miles of laughter and strife?

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand

Six hundred minutes

How do you measure

A year in the life?

Ash knew she had to say something. “Will, is everything okay?"

Willow stopped singing and turned around to find the trio standing behind her. “Oh, hey, guys. I'm fine, just a little..."

“Wanna talk about it?" Branch asked. They all heard an old grandfather clock chime as it struck midnight.

Willow sighed. “Exactly one year ago was probably the worst day of my life. I know you guys say it wasn't my fault, but... I wanted it to happen. So, it kinda was."

“Your last birthday," Poppy realized. “When you..."

“Willow," Branch said calmly, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Lemme tell you something. We all have a past that can come back to haunt us. And your story had the exact opposite of a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are."

“Branch is right," said Poppy. “Just because you killed your mother doesn't mean you're a bad person. Maybe the reason you have your powers is because the universe somehow knew you were meant to do great things, and look at all the great things you've already done."

Ash nodded. “Besides, your story's not over yet. In fact, maybe we can all throw you your first actual birthday. Starting in the morning."

“That'd be nice," Willow admitted. Ash then let her in for a warm hug.

“We should leave them alone," Poppy whispered. Branch winked at her and they left the treehouse.

Ash pulled away and looked Willow in the eyes. “You know, I always thought I had it real bad. With my birth parents abandoning me, growing up surrounded by conservative Hard Rockers... shouldn't have started this like it was gonna be a list. However, despite all the bad stuff I've gone through, and never having a real mom myself, I realize how lucky I am to have a family like Barb and my dad and to have an amazing Troll like you in my life. And you have all those great things, too."

“I love you, Princess Ash," Willow muttered, pressing her forehead against hers.

“I love you, Willow Duckweed," Ash replied.

❤️☀️🧡🌙💛☀️💚🌙💙☀️💜🌙

In a vast forest under a grey sky, a Troll stood on a mountain and stared at an orange flower. Suddenly, she felt a warm breeze, and her emerald green eyes widened. It was as if the wind was speaking to her. To listen better, she removed the hood on her cloak, revealing her large ears and bright orange hair. Although she didn't know how, she somehow knew...

“My daughter is alive."

THE END