Cole Doesn't Live Here Anymore Part 2

Ray and Maya shifted awkwardly in their seats at their dining table as a very official-looking lady from Social Services sat across from them. The social worker was a very tall woman with cold eyes and short curly light brown hair. She was wearing a black, tight, long-sleeved shirt and a light blue tall skirt with red-framed glasses and black high-heeled boots. Ray couldn't help but keep his nervous eyes on the dining room table to avoid her sharp gaze.

He felt as if the social worker's gaze was burning a hole right through his soul.

He doubted any parent wanted a social worker in their home, especially one who's specifically sent to take a child away and possibly send them to prison for not informing the state about Cole living with them. Cole, Kai, and Nya were out with their other friends. Both he and Maya thought it would be best if they weren't there to see this. A tense silence filled the apartment, no one dared make a sound. Thankfully Maya had more confidence than her husband as she stared at the social worker with a blank face, both women waiting for the other to break first.

Luckily, Ray finally managed to work up the nerve to break the uncomfortable silence by clearing his throat and looking up at the social worker.

"Um, welcome to our lovely home." He smiled shakily. "This must be a relief for you to come to a house where no one has done anything wrong."

"I bet it's almost like a vacation," Maya added.

"Oh sure, making my way here from the other side of the city during rush hour is like traveling through the south of France on a luxurious boat." She shot back harshly and the awkward tension returned.

"Such imagery, you should be a writer." He chuckled nervously as he felt himself starting to sweat. "So to the matter at hand, how do we keep this little homosexual teen who's dating my son living in this apartment?"

"Well, if his father was willing to make you legal guardians it wouldn't be an issue." She explained. "But without Mr. Brookstone's approval, I have to put Cole in with a foster family."

"Ok, what if we became Cole's foster family? Doesn't the city cut you a big fat check for that every month?" Ray asked, getting a harsh glare from his wife.

"Yes, but it's a complicated process and would require state officials to approve of you two as capable guardians." She explained. "If by some miracle that actually did happen, we're looking at a three to six months process."

"What happens to Cole in the meantime?" Maya asked.

"He'll be placed in a group home."

"B-But w-we took him in and we're doing really good with him," Ray said.

"Yeah, he's healthy, he's getting really good grades, he's feeling great about himself," Maya added.

"We were a little freaked out at first but now we really want him to stay, so can he stay?" He pleaded.

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I do agree with you, but it's either his own home or a group home." She sighed. "It might not make sense but that's the way the system works."

"Well with your sunny and cheerful disposition I can see why they choose you to work with children," Ray grumbled, getting another glare from his wife...

****************

Lou sighed as he sat alone in his apartment, flipping through the channels on his TV. He never realized how quiet the place was without Cole. Usually, the raven-haired teen had his music blasting, whether it be from a stereo or his headphones. It was so loud Lou didn't need any fancy werewolf powers to hear it. He did miss his son, but he couldn't accept his lifestyle. Contrary to what people may think, he wasn't disappointed IN his son, he was disappointed FOR his son.