It is what it is (chapter 1 pt 2)

"You're not going home until every drop of paint is cleaned off" Iruka said while crossing his arms. Naruto scowled up at him and snorted.

"So what? It's not like I have anyone at home waiting for me." He said.

For a moment, Iruka felt his heart clench for the orphan boy, watching as the kid scrubbed the paint harshly until another voice chimed in.

"What am I, chopped liver???"

Naruto and Iruka looked over to see you struggling to pull yourself onto the platform Naruto was on, making the platform move and making Naruto unsteady.

"Wha! What are you doing here."
"To say hi." You said before looking over the railing at the ground below.

"And to say goodbye." You said before hopping over the railing.

Naruto's eyes bulged out of his face and stood frozen. Fortunately, Iruka was quick to react and swiftly grabbed the back of your hoodie, accidentally choking you.

"Damn it! What the hell, kid!?" Iruka yelled while pulling you back over the railing.

"Do you have a death wish or something!?" He yelled into your face while gripping your shoulders hard.

"Yes."
"-do you have any ide- what!?" Iruka became baffled by your response.

"Yes."
"Kid, what on earth makes you want to die?"
"I just want to." You shrugged.

He stared at you for a couple seconds before releasing you standing back straight while keeping his eyes locked on you.

"I don't understand what's going on, but whatever it is, we can help you, okay?" He said in a comforting, soft tone.

You narrowed your eyes at him, giving him the most intense stare he had ever seen from you. No longer did you have the stupid, carefree look on your face, but instead, you were glaring fiercely at him.

"Don't." You said in a low voice before going back to your empty gaze and leaned over to look at Naruto.

"Hey. Let's be friends." You said, earning a bewildered look from the blonde.

Iruka was about to question you on your response when Naruto interrupted him.

"Eh? No! You're probably one of those jerks that hate me for no reason!"
"What gave you that idea?"
"You're acting all buddy-buddy with everyone including that numb-skull, Sasuke!"

You laughed at that and crossed your arms.

"Oh please! That cunt didn't even look at me, he just got all broody in the corner like a little bitch!" You snapped back.

"Hey! Language!" Iruka yelled while lightly chopping you on the head as a warning.

"Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" Naruto said, also blown away by your casual use of swear words.

"I don't got one so I can say whatever I want." You said while cocking your hip and turning your nose up as if you won an argument.

Naruto blinked before his face fell a bit, shoulders slumping a bit.

"You don't have a mom?"
"Nope."
"Not even a dad?"
"Nuh uh."

Naruto looked down at his feet with an even more sad look.

"...oh."

Iruka looked between the two of you and sighed before placing his hands on both your heads.

"Hey. How about after the paint is cleaned up, we could maybe go for some ramen, the good stuff. What do ya'll think?" He said.

Naruto's form immediately straightened up with a wide smile on his face.