068. cover girl

ミ★
"happiness looks great on both of you."

[ six months later ]

VOGUE!

Aubrey Hughes on Self-Discovery,
Love, and Living in the Spotlight

IT'S SATURDAY AFTERNOON, and I am sitting on Aubrey Hughes' Los Angeles apartment in Beverly Hills

IT'S SATURDAY AFTERNOON, and I am sitting on Aubrey Hughes' Los Angeles apartment in Beverly Hills. It looks exactly just like how you would picture the residence of a tech heiress would look like, modern and sophisticated with just the perfect hint of a feminine touch. To say the place was impressive would be an understatement, since it is filled with bespoke furnitures from all over the world, equipped with her personally designed AI home managing system. Being there felt like living in the dystopian world we would only see in movies, only it was nothing but reality.

Aubrey had just come back from an emergency meeting that she had to attend to, so she was dressed in a very chic nude jumpsuit, her long gorgeous locks fell perfectly down her back, framing her beautiful face to the point where she looks absolutely ethereal. Placed on her lap was her laptop, an exclusive Hughes design, of course, as she was trying to show me the short video of her project in Bali. A school for kids from poor families who cannot afford the time and money it will take to send their children to undergo proper education.

I have a sliver of an idea what to expect. Over the past week, I have joined Aubrey at work, both in her lab and foundation. But, as majority of Aubrey's work is in the foundation, I mostly spent my time in the cozy and warm building of the Hughes Foundation. My experience there was nothing short of magical, as it was filled with the most amazing people hoping to make the world a better place. And unlike some fakes we see often, these people are actually doing real things to achieve it. During the two years  that Aubrey had completely gone off the spotlight, she had been in Bali working on this project and a few others all across the globe.

The video featured a lot of mini interviews of the children who had studied there, added with clips of them learning or having the best time on their mini trips with the ever picturesque Bali as the backdrop of the very heartfelt video. By the time the 5 minute video was over I was already shamelessly bawling on her couch, unconditionally touched by the sheer kindness and joy that has been presented to me.

Aubrey explained everything that she had done in Bali, how she was there since the very start of the project and see it through until it is a well-established school there. "It was the first time that I've ever done a project like that, and it definitely has been one of the best learning experience if I'm being honest."

I could tell that she is very sentimental about her Bali project, and that it meant a lot to her so I took a chance and asked her what it truly meant for her. "So when I first started the project, that school was about halfway done and there were like a million issues surrounding the project in itself. I kinda just took charge and built it up until it was perfect. At the time, I was feeling very much undone too, I was at a point where I just felt like I've ruined everything and didn't have anything so I guess as I was working on the school, I was also simultaneously building myself back up that's why that place will always mean a lot to me."