Chapter 21 -- Decision Time

"It's time." Tera says in a cold, lifeless voice. Three men around her move towards me, and I stand up quickly and swallow hard trying to hide my fear. Two men grab each of my arms, and the other goes behind me and pushes me forwards.

Stumbling, I straighten up and yank free of the men and they instantly react by pulling out knives. "Do you mind telling your goons to back down? I'm not going to fight you Tera, I'm going to go willingly." I say calmly, and Tera looks at me hard and long.

"Viek." She says in an unknown language, and the men put there knives away. "Good choice, Elanora. Come along, its time." She says, and turns and walks out of the cell.

Steadying myself, I take in a deep breath and follow her outside. She is on top of a stone platform about five or six feet in the air, and a strange symbol is drawn on the platform.

A stone altar is on the platform is well, with a cauldron on top of it and a knife next to the cauldron. I take in a few more deep breaths, before walking up the stone steps and standing in front of Tera.

She straightens up, and looks up at the sky, and I look up with her. The moon is almost over the platform, and I look back at Tera who smiles and looks at me. "Do you know why you are here?" She asks.

Glancing over at the trees and surrounding woods, I nod. "Yes. Because you and your coven want to destroy Doppelgangers because of some stupid prophecy." My voice is cold with a dash of fear. 

She glares at me, and narrows her eyes. "Not just some prophecy, Elanora! It's the prophecy. The prophecy that will change everything, and that was created by our ancestors for very important reasons." She says back.

I shake my head."I don't get it, Tera. How can you go from being my best friend, the person that I cried with, laughed with, and leaned on for support, to this person who somehow thinks that everything that's happened with each other means nothing! The Tera I knew -"

Tera interrupts me, her voice deep and dark. "The Tera you knew is gone! She was weak, and got to attached. She knew that she would be my vessel when the time came, and that imbecile couldn't even complete one, measly task!" She shouts back.

I gasp, and tears leap to my eyes. "What? Who are you?" I ask, my teeth clenched together.

She snorts, and straightens her back even more. "I'm guessing that you've forgotten since our last encounter." She closes her eyes and when they re-open, her eyes are pitch black.

 "I am Reina St. Weston, the matriarch of the Sakute Coven, and the first coven member to ever kill a Doppelganger." Her voice changes to a thick accent, and is deeper and lifeless. 

Tears fall from my eyes, and I stare into her pitch black eyes. I'm speechless, and no matter what nothing seems right. Something occurs to me, and I clench my jaw. "What about Tera? The real Tera? What have you done to her?" 

"She's still in me, and she will remain that way until after the ritual. To be honest, I have a lot riding on your death, and not a lot of time to do it." She looks up at the moon, which is almost over us. "Give me your hand." She demands.

I close my eyes, letting the tears fall, before reopening them and placing my hand in hers. "Tera. I know that your in there." I say.

Reina glares at me and turns my hand over, so that my palm is facing the sky. She picks up the knife, and slices my palm. 

Wincing, a memory slams me like a million pound. "Blood sisters." I murmur, and Reina glares at me.

"Shut up." She says, and her eyes flash from black to normal in a matter of seconds.