Chapter 1: Reporting

Levi's POV

I don't mind working, but when the clock is ticking 5 minutes before I leave to go back to my apartment... there was this feeling of... relief. All my work was done already, and there was no way for me to end work 5 minutes early. Otherwise... Keith would've had my neck. He wouldn't get angry, since he knows I'm one of the only officers that would do extra work without complaining. 

Leaning back in my chair, I gave another sigh of boredom. What am I going to do when I get home? Make dinner? Clean? What? Every day is just a repeated routine of yesterday. Nothing really defers from the usual. 

"No!"

It was a little boy's cry... and it immediately force my head to turn towards him. A brunet boy with such a messy hair. A few cuts and bruises on his cheeks and arms. Those eyes of emerald shone brightly with determination. He was carrying a backpack- no doubt he got out from school. Yet school got off at 3 or so for kids his age. Why was he here at 5 then?

"No, I don't wanna go home!"

Farlan was trying to tug the boy back outside, to no avail, he lost.

Snickering a bit, I shouted a comment towards him. "You really lost to a kid like him, Farlan? Maybe you need to build up some tough skin and take him home."

"I have no choice but to take him home, Levi." He scowled back with a hint of playfulness. "Besides, this guy won't budge. He weighs like a ton. I need to know what his family feeds him- maybe it's bricks or something."

Weird. 

Gazing back towards the boy, there was something that really racked my brain. Cuts and bruises, doesn't want to go home, what does it really brew? Abuse? Children should never be hurt.

"I'll take him home."

4 minutes was left, but I was willing to take another hour or two with this boy. Farlan gave a glare of annoyance, but he knows that I can carry that boy without any trouble. "Suit yourself." He chuckled a bit because of what the boy did next. The boy fell to the ground, pouting. "He won't go home."

With ease, I rose him from the ground and carried him on my shoulder. "Come on, brat."

"No! I don't wanna go home! I don't wanna!"

"Too bad." Attempting to look over my shoulder to Farlan, I gave a shout over the brat's cries. "Where does he live?"

"No idea," Farlan replied with a chuckle, "but you can try to check his backpack for information. Each elementary kid should have their address on them- especially if their parents aren't the ones picking them up from the school."

I nodded, continuing to carry the brat out to my police car. His efforts of getting out my grips was rendered useless. By the time he realized his defeat, he was already in the backseat and buckled up as I held his bag.

"Sorry for doing this, brat." I said with a hint of sadness. I would've hated it when someone took me back home when I didn't want to. Actually, that happened so many times, I've lost count of how many times I did try to run away. "But you can't stay overnight at the station."

There was no reply from him. 

Scuffling through his back, I found a familiar address. It wasn't in any reports regarding abuse... but it was... my old home. Maria Orphanage. I thought I would never see that name or that address again. 

"Who's there this time?" I whispered under my breath. If I remember correctly, there should've been a guy named Jenson who was 40 when I was there. Currently, he should be 70- that or dead after smoking so many cigarettes. And the fact that he was covered in cuts and bruises, it was never Jenson that hurt us. I fell a lot of times and got into so many injuries from fights. Honestly... who was hurting this boy...