Thanksgiving

I was watching The Addams Family: Family Values and there is this one scene where the kids do a Thanksgiving play, and that brought me back to something that happened to me when I was a kid.

So, without further adieu, I present to you the story of Thanksgiving, but not from my point of view.

Ah yes. Thanksgiving Day. A time where everyone gathers around a turkey and says what they're grateful for as the big American football game played on the TV, just before things went to heck when someone inevitably brings up a touchy subject like politics.

Aurelia hated it.

Now, if you heard this kid say such an opinion, you might be thinking, "Hey, hate is a pretty strong way to describe your feelings towards something, especially for a third grader. You'll grow to love it in time!" But no, Aurelia was serious. She's never been more serious about anything in her life.

From an early age, she knew there was something off about the holiday. Her father would always be so uneasy and unhappy whenever Thanksgiving rolled around. This confused and concerned Aurelia immensely. This was when her ancestors met with the pilgrims and helped found America! How could someone not like the holiday?

After years and years of pestering, she finally found out how.

Did she regret finding out? No. Knowledge is substantially better than ignorance, especially in this situation. She was glad she found out. At least now she wasn't blind.

Which is why she was so infuriated with her school.

Her school had decided that it would be a good idea for the third graders to do a Thanksgiving play. She, along with all the other coloured people in her grade, had been made Native Americans while all of Aurelia's white classmates were pilgrims. They were currently in the middle of dress rehearsals, getting ready to perform the play tomorrow. Aurelia felt disturbed and weirded out, seeing her classmates don the clothes that held so much significance to her father's tribe.

"And that's the story of Thanksgiving!" her classmate, Jessica, finished with a flourish.

Their teacher, Ms. Truffton, clapped enthusiastically. "Great job, everyone!" she exclaimed. "We're definitely ready for tomorrow!"

Ms. Jackson, another one of the third grade teachers, beckoned the students to come off-stage. "Alright, everyone! Pack up so we can get ready for recess!" she told the students.

The kids walked off the stage, chatting with one another, and collected their things. As they did, Aurelia heard her another one of her classmates, Leah, say, "Hey, Jessica, you're really warm–"

Aurelia didn't have time to absorb and process what Leah had said because Jessica cut her off by throwing up on the gym floor. Everyone let out exclamations of disgust as they backed away from the scene, parting like the Red Sea.

"Um, Ms. Truffton? I don't think Jessica can come to school tomorrow," a boy– Aurelia was 90% sure his name was David– predicted.

"Oh no, she definitely can't," Ms. Truffton agreed. "I need two people to get the janitor and another person to walk Jessica to the office." A large majority of the students raised their hands. "Alright, Ethan, Jake, go get the Mr. McCathy. Kimmy, go with Jessica to the office."

The chosen students left to do their tasks and Ms. Truffton and Mr. Kadersburg corralled the students outside of the gym to keep them from breathing in the puke fumes. Minutes later, the bell rang, and the kids took off, making their way to the playground.

"Man, I can't believe Jessica threw up!" Aurelia's classmate and cousin, Maxine, remarked loudly as they walked past the classrooms to the playground.