🏳️‍🌈Part 41🏳️‍🌈

hey you guys probably want some real writing. and you know what? so do I :)

but I had to write this for school so I figured you gays would like it too

Transgender is an umbrella term used to refer to people who do not identify with their assigned gender at birth. FtM, MtF, nonbinary, agender, genderqueer, demiboy, -girl, and -person, genderfluid, and intersex are just a few labels used by people under the transgender umbrella. Gender identity and gender expression are two different things, though society sometimes views them as the same thing. In the US, almost 55 million adults identify as transgender.

It isn't clear who was the first transgender person since the labels are relatively new while identifying as such is not. There is a Greek myth that the god Apollo made transgender people by getting drunk and making humans with the wrong genitals. probably my favorite god tbh

Transgender rights and representation are very important. In 2016 alone, 27 transgender people were killed, and transgender people face higher rates of poverty, depression, discrimination, and violence. 30% of trans people face mistreatment, higher rates of being fired, and being denied a promotion simply because of their gender identity. 40% said they attempted suicide in their lifetime, compared to the rate of the United States (4.6%).

and I have sources, shut up

Bradford, Alina. "What Does 'Transgender' Mean?" Live Science, Future US Inc, June 17, 2018.

"Transgender FAQ." GLAAD, 2019.