Chapter 12: Truth hurts

Escanor POV:

"Am I still alive? What is happening to me? Please someone help me... what if this is just all a dream, too cliche?"

Is this the part where I die? Or is it the time I finally remember something to save myself from this pit of despair.

"Escanor...that's your sin..." Merlin's voice echoes in my head.

"What's my sin? What have I done ? Who am I? I am just a traveler who somehow ends up as a bartender. Maybe that's it, I don't know."

Somehow I found myself on the streets of Camelot. The people were all busy with their daily lives, merchants were shouting to promote their goods and shady men are talking behind alleys. Apart from all the bustle, my eyes somehow caught a woman walking by the mass of people in the streets. It was Merlin. All these time, seeing her always felt like the first time...that's how captivating she is to me...or was. I observed her calmly walked through the crowd and subconsciously I followed her. After a couple of turns, she stopped by a familiar shop in the busy street. It was none other than "My Sweet Gluttony".

Merlin seem to be staring into the shop for a while. Her eyes seem to be in sadness, and finally she walked in. As I approached the shop, I head a meekly voice... it was none other than my own voice.

"W-welcome to My Sweet gluttony, how can I help you today?"

It was like watching a scene from a movie unfold in front of my eyes. I was watching a scene which had happened before, Merlin was as usual her unreadable face calmly drinking the house special blend. Not long after that, Arthur walked through me like I was not even there. And all the events happened like predicted.

"What is all this? Am I dead?

But soon after, I noticed Merlin's movement seemed unnatural, like she seems to be acting. Not long after that, she looked at me while giving a sad smile while walking out from the bar.

"Hi Escanor, it seems it turned out this way."

"What's happening Merlin? Is this an illusion? Am I dead?"

"...Well, you are not wrong. You are indeed dead for a while now, and you are currently inside my void magic."

"...What are you talking about? Then why are you here? How can I talk to you like this?

Merlin faced was no longer stoic, her once unreadable face now seems to break down into  sadness and tears began to stream down her beautiful face.

As Escanor slowly approached her, Merlin placed her hand up, motioning him to stop. Her gesture was to stop him from getting to see how vulnerable she looked, as if the once unfazed witch who seems to not break down easily appears to show her unseen side. The sin of pride ignored her and held her face to wiped off her tears.

"Escanor... you are not supposed to see me like this...forgive me."

"Why...are you like this? Please tell me the truth, what are you hiding from me??"

Merlin slowly walked away, after a few steps, she took a deep breath and faced Escanor.

"I will show you, no more illusions..."

To his horror, her face has scattered scars from the chin to her neck. The scar appears to be  burnt marks . She still looked beautiful, but the thought of what or who did this to her makes Escanor feel strange, it was a mixture of sadness and happiness.

"What happened? Who did this to you?" he asks.

"...It was myself and part of it was you."

"What...how?"

Merlin sighed and looked straight at Escanor,

"You may not believed me, but Escanor...you  passed away during the war. "

"....sorry?"

End of Chapter 12...