Chapter 9

Chapter 9 - Red and burning

"Thank you so much Georgie." Xenia hustled me to the class. "I'm so sorry I have to bother you."

"It's okay, Xenia." I laughed as she dragged me through the corridor. "It's only one class."

"I can't believe Issy ditched me for a date on the day that my husband has an event." She sighed, rubbing her temples.

I smiled. Xenia had called me an hour ago, ranting that Isabel, one of the teachers, had taken a one day leave and no one was teaching her class. So obviously, I agreed to help out.

"Calm down Xenia." I teased.

"I'm gonna kill that Isabel Durant." She growled, opening the door of the studio.

"Go Xenia. You don't have class. Leave this to me." I patted her back as she gave me an exasperated look.

"Thanks Georgie. I'm counting on you. I'll be back as soon as I can slip away from the event in about 45 minutes." She smiled weakly and handed me the keys of the academy. "They're learning the dance for the end of semester show."

"Okay. Breathe Xenia. Breathe." I replied and she nodded, walking away as she threw her arms around crazily. I held back a laugh and entered the studio with 12 young faces looking at me blankly. Immediately, my self-consciousness took over and I shied back.

"Who are you?" asked a young voice and I gazed at the owner of that voice. She was at least 13 years old with curly ginger hair wrapped in a bun and soft freckles highlighting her rosy cheeks. Her bright blue eyes stared at me, studying my movements.

"I'm your teacher for today. My name is Georgie." I grinned, confidence slowly flowing back into me. I loved kids. They were so easy to work with. At least, the ones I had encountered so far were easy as they always grew a liking for me.

"Where's Miss Durant?" she asked. This girl sure was brave and confident. It matched her flaming bright hair.

"She's not here. She'll be here tomorrow." I replied and shuffled slightly, uncomfortable from her gaze.

"Okay." She nodded and silenced herself.

"Okay." I trailed slightly. "Well class, to the barre please. Let's start with demi-plies and plies to warm ourselves up."

The little girls shuffled over to the nearest barre and posed in first position. As I counted the steps and they followed my beat, I couldn't help but watch the little girl with the bright ginger hair. Her movements were sleek and elegant and her turnout was perfect. When we moved onto other exercises and warm ups, while the other girls struggled to nail the beat, she'd easily done them all. She was a natural dancer and a serious one too. I went to correct the girls' stance but she didn't need any correction. The other girls had already accepted me and I had learnt their names but she'd turned away from me. I saw a part between her and the other girls and it worried me.

After 45 minutes of teaching them some new dance moves, they showed me their routine for the show. It was very impressive and well-choreographed even though some parts were slightly out of time. The little ginger was at the centre of most of the dance as though she was the main but it was an equal group dance. Curious at how much this little girl's talent stretched to, an idea popped into my head.

"Okay girls." I clapped my hands and stood at the front of the class. "Who can perfect a pirouette?" I watched the little girls wobble around slightly and execute a pirouette. They weren't perfect but at least they knew the technique. The little ginger though, was balancing on her toes and pirouetting effortlessly. "You're very talented. Who taught you?"