Chapter Sixteen - Dead End

As the investigation on Wrath reached a dead end, Nagato began to grow frustrated with the lack of leads.

Nagato: We're running out of time, Konan. For each day that passes, Wrath is much closer to unleash the Day of the Golden Dawn.

Konan: We're doing everything we can to find Wrath and his followers. Kakuzu and Hidan are scouring the city for any possible leads that can lead us to Wrath.

Nagato: What of our prisoner?

Konan: Jirobo remains uncooperative.

At this point, the only one who could possibly lead the Akatsuki to Wrath was Jirobo. However, using the Human Path put a tremendous strain on his body. Despite this, they were left with no other choice.

Nagato: We cannot afford to wait for Hidan and Kakuzu to find any leads. Jirobo is our best bet to finding Wrath.

Konan: Jirobo has made it clear that he'd rather die than give any information to us.

Nagato: We have to try, Konan. We'll have to double our efforts. Jirobo knows where Wrath is.

With that, Nagato and Konan made their way to the cell where Jirobo was being held. Upon seeing Nagato and Konan, Jirobo simply chuckled. 

Jirobo: Ready for round two?

Nagato: You will tell us where Wrath is. 

Jirobo: Are we seriously doing this again? I'm not talking! You're just wasting your breath. 

Nagato: My patience is running thin, Jirobo. You know where he is. You're going to tell us where he is. 

Jirobo simply laughed in the face of Nagato's threats. 

Jirobo: You don't scare me, you know. Sure you got an impressive Quirk, but you're soft. You don't got the guts to do what is necessary. You're all nothing more than a bunch of pawns. That Integra bitch was smart to bail out while she could. Not that it wouldn't have done her any good. 

Konan: Are you talking about the Day of the Golden Dawn?

Jirobo: So you managed to get that out of my head. I'm impressed. 

Nagato: I don't have time for this. I am not asking for much, Jirobo. All I am asking is information. Tell us where Wrath is and you won't fall with him. 

Upon hearing this offer, Jirobo simply laughed. 

Jirobo: You really don't get it, do you? I knew Heroes were a bunch of losers, but I didn't think you'd all be this stupid. 

Konan: What do you mean?

Jirobo: You and your little band of morons are running around trying to stop Wrath and the Day of the Golden Dawn, but what you don't realize is that you're already too late. 

Upon hearing this, Nagato grew hostile towards Jirobo. 

Nagato: I don't have time for this! Tell us where Wrath is!

Jirobo: You think you scare me? Don't make me laugh! Wrath outplayed you little Heroes! He's been playing you like a damn fiddle for decades and you couldn't see it!

Nagato: If you don't tell me where Wrath is....

Jirobo: Or you'll what? Kill me? The way I see it, you're all dead men walking! Once Wrath's done with you, you're gonna wish I broke out and kill you where you stand. But I think it's going to be more entertaining watching you flail around against Lord Wrath. 

At this point, it became clear that whatever Wrath was planning, it was coming soon. 

Jirobo: Try all you want, but you're only delaying the inevitable. You can't stop what's coming. Since I'm in a good mood, I'm gonna give you a suggestion. If you really want to live through this, then you got two options in front of you. You can either take the next plane out of the country or you can join Lord Wrath. 

As Jirobo said this, it was clear that Jirobo wasn't going to reveal Wrath's whereabouts. No amount of interrogation would've brought on useful information. Nagato and Konan rushed out of the cell, but not before Jirobo shouted a final warning. 

Jirobo: Run little piggies! 

Nagato and Konan reached the office room and called Integra. 

Integra(Phone): Nagato. What's the situation?

Nagato: We have a dangerous situation on our hands. We have recovered intel that Wrath is intending an attack on the country. We fear it may be soon. We need immediate assistance. 

Integra(Phone): Where did you acquire this information?

Nagato: We're recovered this information from one of Wrath's followers. He's planning to unleash something called the Day of the Golden Dawn. 

Integra(Phone): How long do we have?

Nagato: I don't know. It may be in a matter of days, maybe hours. 

Silence was heard on the phone in response to Nagato's answer. After a moment of tense silence, Integra spoke. 

Integra(Phone): I will gather as much agents as I can for a preemptive strike against Wrath's forces, but it will take time. I will inform Ciel Phantomhive of the situation. In the meantime, it will fall on you and the Akatsuki to contain the situation. 

Nagato: Understood. 

As the call ended, Nagato turned to Konan. 

Konan: What's our next move?

Nagato: We're run out of time, Konan. We must alert all the Akatsuki of what's coming. It's going to take time before Integra can get the reinforcements we need. For now, it falls on us. 

In that moment, the Akatsuki was in the zero hour. They had to prepare for when Wrath unleashes the Day of the Golden Dawn. All they could do was wait and hope they were prepared for when Wrath began his endgame.