• Ten •

Claudius

°°°

"Do you like tonight’s wine, son? It’s Haribon Red. I hope it satisfies your taste buds."

Sipping from it, I can tell it's a high-tannin red wine, it's astringent and inky, it's a bitter taste. Not bad but, I prefer a smooth red wine, something earthy to my taste buds.

"Well fine," I spoke, "But what is the business tonight, father? As you know, I’m busy."

"Son, this is very important."

The woman beside my father rose her lips into a sweet smile, "Claudius, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule. I highly appreciate it."

"Yes, go ahead."

Before starting a real conversation, they both looked at each other and smiled lovingly, as if they were getting ready to open something for me. Of course, to me it's a sore eyes. Eventually for sure, this woman will leave my father.

I saw her a couple times, had lunch and dinner with her, but I really can't get used to it.

Same goes for every woman my father had introduces.

"Claudius."

I gave a nod, "Yes, I’ll listen."

"This is serious. Anastasia and I are seriously getting married. This is for real, son." he stated with finality in his voice, "I wanted to hear your opinion and have you two get along with each other since she’s going to end up as your mother."

The woman squinted her eyes in joy, "I look forward getting to know you more."

"Same here," I answered plainly.

"I’ve been seperated with your mother three years ago and I’d like to start a new serious relationship now. I hope it’s okay with you."

Serious relationship... does my father aware that he had said that before from his previous women?

I sighed resignedly and held playfully the wine glass, "This is your second marriage with another woman so I doubt it will be anymore special," I said dryly, "Do as you please, I don’t mind as long it doesn’t affect my company."

"Oh my... you’re such an adult, Claudius!" the woman blurted happily, "This is my second marriage too and that seems us to get a long together, dear."

My father smiled sweetly at her, "Yes, dear. Everyone is bound to make mistakes. Sometimes, you don’t meet the good stuff until later."

"My ex-husband is a businessman as well. But you know, experience is everything. His business crashed so I had to start my own business to make a living for me and my daughter," the woman started to tell stories, but actually I'm not interested.

"Dear, I don’t want to hear anymore people in your past. But you, telling that to my son is very pleasing. Atleast you’re open."

"Oh dear," she laughed in a winning manner.

I gently sipped my wine, letting them talk like a teenager who are both madly in love with each other.

I don't mind, really. Except for one thing.

"Your relationship has nothing to do with me. But I’m worried that Protegé stock prices will go down because of this. You, father, getting married with another businesswoman considering this is your second marriage. I expect many rumors to get around," I said in all seriousness, "Getting a divorce from my mother, will surely the end of other businesses from her side of the family."