Chapter 43

Anastasia Rayne

I turned over reaching to find Nick but he was already gone leaving the spot next to me empty and cold. I groaned rubbing my eyes in annoyance before sitting up and leaned against the headboard.

" Miss me? " his hoarse chuckles caused my eyes to snap opened.

And, there he was standing at the edge of our bed with his arms crossed over his naked chest wearing just a white towel. I watched his muscles bulked in admiration earning another chuckles from him. My eyes followed the water drops dripping down his hair to neck then his abs. I swallowed so hard I almost choked on my shits.

" Do you want me to stand here forever, princess? " he asked. I nodded my head.

I rose from the headboard and reached over to him faster than he could smirk. I threw my arms around his neck and buried my head at the crook of neck, inhaling his fresh showered scent. His arms instinctively wrapped around my waist pulling me flashed against his body.

" I would never get tired of you. You smell delicious as always. " I murmured against his neck.

" Did you sleep well? " he asked kissing my hair.

" I always sleep amazing next to you. "

" Last night was different don't you think. It was amazing, almost perfect and I can't believe that considered it was the most innocent night we shared and all. " he said making me laughed.

I was about to bicker back when his phone suddenly rang snapping us both out of our little moment. He muttered a small sorry and gave me a peck before went over to the bedside table to pick up his phone.

I watched his playful expression changed to a grim as a frown formed on his lips. He whispered into the phone hastily then ended the call.

" What happened? " I asked.

" Nothing you need to worry about. I need to go now. Take care. " he kissed my cheek one last time and disappeared into the closet.

I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion at his sudden change but decided to shrug it off thinking it was probably an emergency at work. I shouted goodbye after him as he rushed out of the closet and then the bedroom's door liked the flash.

That night he didn't come home.

I waited for him to come for dinner liked always but he never showed up. I moved up to our bedroom waiting for him to burst through the door but he never did. He just left for work and never came back. No calls and no texts.

By midnight I was worried that something might happen to him until I realized he was the boss and he could take care of himself better than anyone else. That was what I told myself for a little comfort for the sake of my own sanity but it didn't work. I was worried sick. He was never like this.

Feeling helpless I decided to call his only friend, Matteo Carter. He didn't pick up. I got even worried. So, I went to Elliot's room and asked if Nick had told him anything at all, he didn't know either. Then, I went to Eden who looked at me weirdly for a moment before muttering, he was probably working late and I shouldn't be worried.

I went back to our room and laid in the empty bed unable to sleep without him, I blamed myself for developing this habit while I laid there awake all night.

It was four in the morning when the door creaked open and there he was standing in the middle of the door way. I got up and rushed toward him.

" Where have you been? I was so worried. " I asked throwing my arms around him.

He hesitated for a moment before wrapping his arms around my waist pulling me closer, his face buried in my neck as he let out a heavy breath.

" Work. " he answered breaking our hug.

I examined his face worriedly. I had never seen him like this. His eyes were blood red liked he was so exhausted from everything. I saw bugs under his eyes liked he had been working non stop the whole day. I scanned his appearance one more time and sucked in my own breath.

He was a mess. His tie was loosened, shirt unbuttoned and half untucked. His hair stuck up in every direction liked he had run his hand through it over a million times.

" I'm going to take a shower. " he muttered walking passed me. No kisses and no smile.

What happened to him?

And that was the only question I had been asking myself for the last five days. Because he kept getting worse and worse every other days. His parents didn't know neither his siblings, he didn't tell anyone. Nicholas shut me out completely and I couldn't even get a smile out of him let alone an answer.

Sooner than later staying up late every nights waiting for him to come home became a daily routine. The habits kept repeating itself everyday.

I would lay in bed watching movies until dawn waiting for his returns. Then he would randomly show up alongside the sun, drunk out of his mind. His clothes all messed up with an empty bottle in his hand, tie loosened and hair messy sticking up every where. He would give me his usual grin as he walked toward our bed before leaning down to give me a kiss.

It wasn't his cologne that filled up my nostrils anymore, just pure alcohol reeking and cigarettes. It was getting out of hands and I didn't know what happened. He wouldn't tell me a thing.

He was like this whole new other person I never knew before.

This night was no different except he had bruises all over his face. Blood dripping out of his forehead and cuts on his lips. My heart thumped against my chest as I rushed to him taking his face between my hands carefully examined his injuries.

" Oh my god. What happened to you? " I winced looking at the nasty cut on his right cheek.

" I'm fine, baby. " he gave a weak smile before leaning down to peck my lips.

" Let me take care of you. " I said leading him to our bed.

He nodded his head and did as told. I left him sitting there and walked over to the bathroom to look for the first aid kit box.

" Did you get into trouble? " I asked as I took care of his wounds.

" Nothing I couldn't handle. At least this pain is bearable. " he shrugged looking over at the window.

" Nick, what's going on? You can tell me anything, baby. I'm worried. " I whispered cupping his cheeks between my palm.

His eyes bored into mine for the first time in five days since that night he came home a different person. I couldn't tell what he was feeling. All I saw was darkness in his eyes, nothing at all. He was empty. The longer I stared the colder I felt as chills creeped up my arms sending shivers down my spine but I refused to look away.

" Nothing is going on. It's just stress from work. I apologize for not being with you these passed day. Have dinner with me tomorrow? " he asked making my eyes softened.

" Okay. "

➺ ✿ ➻

I read your comments and y'all are going insane so here's another chapter.

p.s, YES! everyone in the Salvatore's bloodline will have their own book. except Victoria/Brandon, consider we all know what happened to them from the first book but a spin off in the far future, maybe.

again thank you so much for your amazing support and love🥺 i couldn't have write so much shits without your comments pushing me. thank you. <3