Chapter One: The Food Court Encounter

But it had to get worse before it got better.

Remember that bakery job I was talking about? Yeah, I had a feeling that today was going to be particularly tedious when I arrived at the food court.

"You're late, Y/N." My boss was quick to point out.

"Yeah, I know, I know." I sighed, and then quickly got to my station and began rolling out the dough for what would be the crust of a cherry pie.

But things didn't really turn stale until later that day, in the afternoon.

I should probably point out a couple of things about my boss. Although calling me out for being late (I had slept in after last night's purple smoke affair) was perfectly reasonable, a lot of the things she does are definitely not. In fact, no one who works here knows her real name, because everyone just calls her Karen. I'm genuinely curious as to if someone hurt her, or if she just came out of the womb as the angry, entitled person who we all know and hate.

So, yeah, where I work, Karen is the manager.

Now, back to today's events:

Beckeigh, the annoying, superficial white girl also known as Karen's daughter, did the most shitty thing humanly possible (in my opinion, at least), she straight-up PIED HERSELF IN THE FACE AND THEN TOLD KAREN THAT I DID IT.

Beckeigh has hated my guts ever since her high school boyfriend cheated on her with me. Which, by the way, was not my fault because no one told me he had a girlfriend, which I've tried to tell Beckeigh a million times, only for her to respond with calling me a slut. It's kinda petty to hold a grudge against someone for something that happened without my knowing when we were 16, but whatever.

Anyway, Karen was obviously going to side with her darling angel daughter who can do no wrong in her eyes, no matter how much me or any of the other employees tried to explain that I had not, in fact, pied Beckeigh in the face.

"You are all being ridiculous." Karen sneered. "Why in the fresh hell would someone pie themselves in the face?"

"She did it so that she could frame Y/N." the cashier tried to explain.

"Nonsense!" Karen shouted. "Why would my sweet baby girl do such a thing?"

At that point, I had just about fucking had it. All the rage I had pent up inside me finally bubbled up to the surface and started to overflow out of my body.

In the heat of the moment, I punched Karen in the face.

Everyone in the food court went dead silent.

Karen glared at me, furious. "Y/N, you're fired." she growled.

I took off my apron and threw it at her, flipped her off, and then ran away crying. Not because I was going to miss that toxic workplace, but because it was better to have a shitty job than no job at all.

Just then, a blonde girl with sunglasses grabbed my hand and stopped me.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I need you to breathe, okay?" I realized that this blonde girl was going through some things of her own right now, and that she saw herself in me. How did I know that? I guess I've just always had a gift for reading people.

She looked me in the eyes, with a gaze so piercing I could feel it through her sunglasses. "Tell me what's wrong." She said.

I was so relieved to have someone to talk to about everything that was on my chest that I just started venting about everything that's happened to me since I graduated.

"You look like you need a fresh start." The blonde girl declared. "How would you feel about coming back with me to Buenos Aires?"

The blonde girl took off her sunglasses and then I realized I was talking to Ámbar Smith.

"Sure, why not?" I answered.