Chapter Four: An Unexpected Guest

"Who's Allison?" Ámbar whispered to me. But before I could answer, she walked up to us.

"Hey, Allison. What are you doing in Buenos Aires?" I asked.

"You wouldn't believe it," Allison replied, "But you know how I design sets for plays and concerts and stuff?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Well, this guy who coaches a rollerskating team called the Red Sharks hired me as their set designer." She then gestured toward Ámbar. "And I see you're friends with one of its members."

"I'm sorry," Ámbar interrupted, "Do you two know each other? 'Cause I thought Y/N said they didn't have any friends."

"Allison was one of my co-workers at the bakery." I explained. "She was the one who tried to defend me when the whole Beckeigh situation happened."

"Oh, okay."

Here's a little more background info about Allison: She has a very unique style, but I don't really mean her clothing. She wears clothing that you'd expect your average young adult woman to wear. I'm talking more about her hair and makeup. Her braided hair is scattered with colourful, dyed strands of purple, pink, and blue. As for her makeup, she always has unusual shades of lipstick, eyeshadow, and sometimes even mascara. I'm talking blue, green, purple... Karen said that she looks like a clown, and even her parents have told her that all the bright colours contrast too much with her dark skin, but the thing about Allison is that she doesn't give a damn what people think. And that's what I like about her. I wish I was as confident as her, if I'm being honest.

Anyway, back to right now.

Emilia had just walked in. I knew right off the bat that her and her antisocial tendencies were not going to get along with Allison and her "do no harm but take no shit" attitude.

"Ámbar, Y/N, I thought you two were supposed to be in the skating rink." Emilia said.

"We were, but then Y/N ran into a friend of theirs." Ámbar explained.

Emilia turned toward Allison. "Hey, aren't you Allison, the new set designer? I was told that your makeup look was... interesting."

Allison muttered something under her breath.

"What did you say?" Emilia asked.

"I said at least I don't look like a fucking vampire!" Allison shouted this time.

Ohhhh, boy.

But before anything could happen, Ámbar held Emilia back. "YOU TWO, STOP IT!" she yelled. "I don't think Y/N appreciates seeing their friends fighting with each other."

"You're friends with her?" Allison whispered to me.

"Well, she's friends with Ámbar. And she seems to like me." I replied.

"Does she like you because Ámbar likes you?"

"She likes me because I told her I punched Karen in the face."

"Oh, so she's that type of person."

"Hey, Ámbar, can we go skating now?" I asked. She was right. Even though Emilia and Allison were both the type of people to start unnecessary beef over something as insignificant as someone making fun of their aesthetic, I still didn't appreciate that two of my new friends were already using each other as verbal target practice.

"That's a great idea, Y/N. Let's go."

When I checked my phone, I saw one new notification from Twitter.

emosharklady tweeted: i already have beef with the new set designer bc she can't take a joke. typical me lmao

I rolled my eyes and put my phone away.

Then Ámbar started teaching me how to rollerskate. I thought that spending some time alone with her would take my mind off things, and I was right.

"Do you think you're good? Can I let go of you now?"

"Please don't."

Shit.

"You're not ready?"

"No, I was just joking." I laughed nervously.

I don't know why I said that. I just get overwhelmed with emotion every time she so much as touches me.

"Okay, Y/N. I'm gonna let go now.

Three...

Two...

One."

As soon as Ámbar let go of me, I fell over and passed out.