Chapter 15

It's hard to breathe but that's alright

**

I continued staring at the two strong, tall, brutes in my kitchen. They were watching me cautiously, unwavering in their attempt to hide their true intentions. When they continued to refuse to answer my question, I hopped down from the counter, brushing my hands on my pants before wiping my cheeks one last time to remove any remaining tear residue. 

"I think it's time you two leave," I said, turning around and heading towards my back door that we had just come through. Opening it, I stepped out onto my patio and grabbed my cigarettes before plopping down onto my favorite lounge chair. I lit a smoke and took a long drag, sighing as I stared at the ever-changing sky. It was a beautiful pale pink color, the sun starting to retreat into the night, allowing the moon to come out from its resting place to shine brightly through the night. The trees in my backyard were beginning to die as the winter weather became colder with each passing day. I breathed in the beautiful, crisp winter air and gazed at the trees that had died throughout these past few months. 

As I stared into my backyard, I heard footsteps approach me. I didn't move or look up at them, just continued taking hit after hit of my cigarette as I took in the beauty that was surrounding my dark soul, my own personal hell. 

One of the men cleared their throats, breaking my thoughts from my surroundings to them as I looked up to their concerned faces. The look of concerned only lasted for a few seconds before they both closed themselves off from their emotions, something that I was so good at doing that I could tell when others were doing it too. 

"Angel," Gabriel started but couldn't finish as I let out a laugh, that was anything but endearing, at the pet name that he gave me. He glared at me before turning to look at his brother. 

Damien Lorenzo. Man of little words. 

I rolled my eyes at the both of them when neither of them spoke, AGAIN. 

"Look, I'm not playing into whatever the fuck game you two think you are doing. I need you both to leave," I bit out, tossing my cigarette butt into the ashtray before standing up and glaring at both of them. I know I was being a straight up bitch to them but I had no choice in the matter. I couldn't allow myself to feel anything for these men. I couldn't let myself get close to them. I was Giovanni Morettis' daughter and I learned from a young age that I was made for one thing and one thing only, to kill. I didn't have time to love others, I didn't have time for relationships, or whatever the fuck these two wanted from me. I have killed so many people in my short 25 years and I was ashamed of myself but I refused to bring anyone else into my shit life. The week I had spent at their house was a nice break from reality, but the fact of the matter was that I had to meet my father, who was either going to beat me and kill me or give me another assignment, one that was much deadlier than this one and I couldn't risk having feelings for someone, especially these two, that could be used against me if I were to get caught. 

I shook my head as I let a stray tear fall from my eye and trail down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away as I walked away from them, leaving them stunned by my harsh attitude after spending time with them. As soon as I was inside my kitchen again, I heard the slamming of two car doors and the sound of gravel being thrown about as they sped out of my driveway. 

Sighing, I went into my bedroom. I laid down on the bed, grabbing the piece of paper from my pocket, staring at Alejandros' picture. It was time to start looking for this bastard. 

As I lay there, contemplating my next move, my phone went off. I glanced over, seeing my fathers name flashing across it as it awaited my answer. Sighing, I pick up the phone and hit the green answer button. 

"Cecelia," he spits out before even letting me say hello. 

"Father," I reply monotonously. 

He didn't say anything for a moment, trying to rein in his anger. 

"Cecelia," he tried again, "what. the. fuck. happened?" he bit out at me. 

I rolled my eyes, glad that he couldn't see me. 

"We were ambushed," was all I replied. 

"My office, 20 minutes. Cecelia. Fuck," he said before ending the call. 

I lay there for a moment before getting up, slipping on my boots and heading out to my car. I was going to have to speed to make it there in 20 minutes. Great. 

I hopped out of the car as soon as I had it in park and bolted through the front door, through the turn-style and hit the elevator button repeatedly until it opened. I pressed my body against the back of the lift after pushing the number 15 and waited for the doors to open. I imagined myself not being scolded by my father. I imagined a man that loved me and didn't want to see me hurt. A man who doted on not just one but both of his daughters. That was the father I had hoped for, but instead I was born to him, Giovanni. My mother, Carmella, was perfect and kind. I honestly don't know how they could love one another, but they did. It made me sad to know that she wasn't here to watch her three children grow up, or to stop two of them from going into this business. 

As the door pinged open, I took in a calming breath as I stepped out of the lift. I eyed the mahogany doors in front of me before knocking twice and stepping inside. I glanced at the desk in front of me, my father was in his chair, back facing the door as he looked out the windows into the city. 

"Cecelia, sit down," he said calmly.

I did as instructed and sat, waiting. 

"Cecelia, we have a problem. What did I tell you about this assignment? Did I not tell you how important it was? I'm trying to go into business with Damien and his brother and instead of you doing what you need to do to make sure nothing happens, you get fucking shot. What's worse is that you let a member of the fucking cartel get out of that fucking warehouse," he turns in his chair, slamming his fist down on the table. 

I involuntarily flinch. He smirked at me as  he stood from his chair. 

"Why can't you do anything right Cecelia? Why are you such a fuck up? Such a burden to the family name? Why are you the way you are?" he spit out, stopping in front of me. 

Before I could respond, his hand connected with my face, the sound echoing off his office walls. I held back my tears as I turned back to face him before he slapped me again, this time on the other cheek. Before I could turn back to face him, he grabbed my throat with one hand and yanked me out of the chair. I gasped for air as he squeezed. I grabbed his hand, trying to force it off of him but this only pissed him off more. 

He kneed me in the stomach, right where my bullet wound was. The healing efforts now pointless as he threw me the ground and kicked me.  I groaned as the kicking stopped and he spit on the ground. 

"I needed all those fucking cartel members dead, Cecelia. All of them. You better hope to ever loving Christ that you find him. Don't come back until you do and if you don't find him within in the week, consider yourself dead. Now get the fuck out," he sat back in his chair as I struggled to get up. 

Blood had started to seep out of my wound, the stitches that were in place, no longer holding together. I headed for the restroom that was outside the office. Making sure no one was in the room, I locked the door before standing in front of the mirror. I lifted my shirt slightly to assess the damage. 

Bruises scattered my abdomen and wound was slowly bleeding. I looked at my face, large hand prints red like fire on my cheeks as well as a split lip that was oozing blood. I shook my head, taking in a deep breath before heading out the door and towards the elevator. I hit the down button and leaned up against the wall, waiting for it to appear, tears threatening to leak out once again. I was such an emotional fucking mess lately. I couldn't stand it. This was not my demeanor and I was not okay with it. I wasn't allowed to be weak, I wasn't bred for it, I wasn't supposed to feel how I've been feeling. I was supposed to kill, show no mercy, do as I was told and not bat an eye. 

I groaned in pain and looked up when the door pinged open. I stumbled slightly and was taken aback when two strong hands grabbed a hold of me, refusing to let me fall. I stilled and looked up. Shock marring my face as I stared first into blue eyes and then into hazel. 

What the fuck were they doing here?