Memory

"J-José..." Della choked out in between her sobs. José comforted his love by holding her close. He wrapped his arms around her trembling body. "Meu Amor.."

For a few moments, they sat there in each other's arms. "I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry.." Della sobbed. José patted her back softly. "It's alright. Why don't we get back to the amigos? They can finally meet your true self!"
José smiled as he wiped her tears with his glove.
Della sniffled. "I don't think they'll be happy with me.. but I still want to see them."
José nodded. "Don't worry, meu amor. We can explain everything!"
A small smile and blush appeared on Della's beak. "Thank you, José.."

                                ~~~~~~~~~

At the end of the gang's explanation, Gyro and Fenton were bewildered. "So you're saying Della doesn't want to leave because she thinks she's a barbaric huntress who belongs in the wild?" Fenton asked.
"And because of this, a quarrel ensued, ending up with Della running off into the wilderness with Mr. Carioca chasing her?" Gyro reviewed the notes he took on his clipboard.

"Yep.. you guys crashed at the same time they ran off." Louie said.
"Why did José chase after her? The mystery continues.." Webby said.
Dewey's suspicions of José's crush on his mom made more sense now.
Panchito sighed thinking about it.

Gyro rolled his eyes. "Well, we have to find both of them immediately. The plane also needs to be fixed if we want to leave this tropical ecosystem. Intern, you wanna get started on that?" He looked at Fenton.
Fenton saluted Gyro. "Aye-aye, sir! I'll get right to it."
Launchpad got up from sitting on the ground. "I'd be happy to help." He followed Fenton.
Fenton smiled excitedly. "Thanks, Launchpad!"
The two of them went to fix the plane together.

"Now then, who wants to look for Della and the Brazilian parrot?" Gyro asked.
Webby was the only one who raised her hand. After what happened earlier, the others were a little uncertain.
Panchito reluctantly raised his hand. "I'll look for José."
"Not Della?" Gyro raised an eyebrow.
"She doesn't want to be rescued.. she said it herself." Panchito replied.

Dewey stood up. "Come on, guys! We're not leaving without my mom!"
Huey spoke up. "It's obvious that her head isn't in the right place right now. She needs our help."
Louie huffed. "Whatever. The sooner we get off this stupid island the sooner we can go home."
"Uncle Donald?" Dewey looked at him with pleading eyes.
Donald sighed. "Crazy or not, she's still my sister.. I want to believe we can save her."

Gyro sighed. Dealing with family drama wasn't part of his Ph.D. "Let's get going then."

The group ventured back into the forest to look for Della and José.

Donald was starting to feel anxious. He practiced his apology to Della in his head. He wasn't gonna let his anger push his sister away from him. He took deep breaths, calming himself. He closed his eyes, imagining peaceful thoughts.

"You shouldn't be walking with your eyes closed. We're supposed to be looking for your sister, remember?" Gyro interrupted Donald's tranquility.

Donald growled as he glared at the scientific chicken.
Panchito put his hand on Donald's shoulder. "Just ignore him, Donaldo."

Donald kept walking, refocusing on calming his mind.

He was interrupted again when Gyro sneezed. "These stupid tropical plants are triggering my allergies!" He took out a handkerchief and blew his nose loudly.

Donald's eye twitched. He did his best to stay calm.

For a moment there was a pleasant silence. You could even hear the leaves rustling in the wind. Donald finally felt relaxed. Nothing could upset him now.

"AAAHHHH!!!" Gyro screamed.

Donald almost had a heart attack. His blood started boiling with anger. "What now?! Did you pull a hamstring from breathing?!"

"A tiger is running towards us!" Gyro pointed at the tiger, trembling in fear.

Everyone looked to see the tiger running towards them. "Wait! That's Della's tiger, Trina!"
Dewey squinted. "Mom and José are riding on her!"

Trina stopped in front of the search party. José and Della jumped off of her. "That.. was incrível!" José exclaimed.

"Della!" Donald went up to her and hugged her. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry for yelling at you. The truth is.. it hurt to see you not remember anything about us."
He let the tears fall down his cheeks.
"But I'm going to do everything to help you get your memory back! So your kids can have the mother they deserve!"

Della just stood there.

"Donald.. since when do we hug?" She awkwardly chuckled.

Donald pulled away. "Don't be ridiculous we always-," He stopped mid-sentence to look at her. "Wait.. You know my name! You got your memories back!" He hugged her again happily. "I missed you so much, Della!" He had happy tears in his eyes now.

Della hugged him. "I missed you too, Donald. But can you let go of me so I can hug my kids?"

Donald pulled away. "Of course!" He led her to the triplets. "Boys, meet your mother! For real this time!"

The duck triplets looked up at their mother. "Wow.. So it's really her." Louie said. He had his hands in his pockets, a little unsure of how to feel.

Huey was baffled. "How is this even possible? You were suffering from memory loss for ten years, and now you suddenly have all your memories back?"

"I had some help from an old.. friend." Della looked at José. José winked at them.
Della laughed nervously. "Yep, I'm back to normal now! Nothing can stop Della Duck!"

Dewey ran to hug Della. "The real version of you is just as cool as your jungle persona, Mom!"
Della kneeled to hug Dewey. "My little Turbo.."
Dewey looked confused. "Turbo? I'm Dewey."

"What? Your name was supposed to be Turbo!" She turned to look at Donald who was shaking his head. "Della, you think I would let you name a kid 'Turbo'?"

"I could have been Turbo?!" Dewey blurted out.

Della facepalmed and groaned. "Tell me you at least kept Rebel and Jet's names!"
Donald crossed his arms. "Not a chance."

Della sighed. "Well.. I love you kids either way." She smiled at them.
Huey was still very confused but he hugged Della. He'd ask questions later. Right now, he wanted to feel the warmth of a mother's embrace.

Louie was still skeptical. He was supposed to feel happy that some stranger appeared into their lives out of the blue? It didn't feel right. He felt pressured to join the group hug with his siblings, so he did. He pretended this was all normal.

Webby wanted to join in but didn't want to ruin their moment. She pulled Panchito and José into a group hug instead. "I'm so happy for them!"

José and Panchito looked at each other and smiled. They hugged Webby back.

It was a tender moment for all of them. Except for Gyro. He was looking at his watch, waiting for the sappy family moment to end.

//I'm back after 3 years.... I'm gonna make a life goal to finish this thing 🧍‍♂️