Story 1 - "The words of my soulmate"

***This book will be updated in the order I published them on Ao3 :)

Based: Not any point specific during the show. And it doesn't follow the show's storyline.

For a young supernatural, the next words your soulmate would say to you would appear on your wrist, on the morning of your sixteenth birthday. And then, you'd know who your true love is. For some, it was a sign of relief, that the person they were in a relationship with was who they were meant to be with. For others, it tore their heart to pieces, because they were destined to be with someone who didn't love them back. And some, not many but some, didn't see any words appear at all.

Every child would look forward to the day, to that very special birthday. They would wait patiently to hear those words. All of them would wonder if it was someone they'd never met, or if it was someone who had been right in front of them their whole life. Each teenager would do what they could to make the interaction perfect.

And for Hope, she felt her heart break on her sixteenth.

She felt like she knew who it was before the words even showed up. That didn't mean she wanted it to be them. She prayed that she would be wrong and that her soulmate would be anyone other than who she expected. Landon, Rafael, literally anyone. She would've taken anyone because it would be easier if it wasn't her. Maybe her strong feelings would shift, and she'd end up liking someone else.

The problem was that she couldn't get that person out of her head. No matter what Hope tried, Josie was all she could think about. Having a handful of their classes together only made it worse for the Mikaelson. In most of them, Hope sat right by Josie, or very close. Meaning whenever she was trying to do work, Josie's hair, or her smile, or her scent would catch her attention. A single look from Josie and Hope would forget how to breathe.

Josie was the first thing Hope thought about when she woke up on her sixteenth, just like every other day. She felt her skin tingle, and she knew her soulmate's next words had appeared. She sighed and kept repeating the same thing to herself, over and over.

Please don't be her. Please don't be her.

And it was her. And Hope hated it. She hated it because the girl she loved would never love her back, not in that way. Her heart belonged to someone who didn't even realize they had it. So, Hope had to face the inevitable truth, that although Josie Saltzman was her soulmate, she wasn't Josie's.

But that was okay. She could live with that, as long as she still had Josie. As long as Josie still wanted to be her friend, she didn't care.

Having her as just a friend is better than not having her at all.

She couldn't let Josie believe that something was off with her. Josie had to believe that everything was normal between them.

The thought alone of losing Josie due to her feelings was enough to make Hope keep it a secret. She promised herself that she would never speak a word of it, not to anyone. Not that she had spoken of her feelings for Josie to anyone before her sixteenth, but this meant she never would. This was her confirmation that she was destined for a future alone. She was destined to an eternity of being in love with her best friend.

The day of, and the day after, plenty of people asked Hope if there were words on her wrist. To which, Hope said no. She acted as if she didn't have a soulmate. She did, not that anybody else needed to know that. Especially not Josie. Hope hated lying to her, pretending that she was meant to be alone forever. Perhaps she was, destined for a future without someone to live it with, and it couldn't have been made more clear when she saw the three words on her skin. The second Hope saw them, she didn't even need to speak to the person to know who it was. She knew she had been right all along. The sentence included a nickname, a nickname that only one person had ever called her. Only one person she would ever allow to say it. It read: