𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐖𝐞𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

Pairings: Dream x Reader
Warnings: None
Pronouns: She/her

——————————

"This is horrible.

Why am I like this?

What is wrong with me?"

The words repeated over and over in Dream's head as he glanced across the room over to (Y/n). In just a few short minutes, his best friend was going to be getting married to the person who was thought to be his rival. (Y/n) was dressed in her fluffy, white dress and a silky veil was thrown over her head. She fumbled with the backing of her dress in front of the mirror, tilting her lip as she narrowed her eyes at the corset she wore.

When her struggle became apparent, Dream lifted himself from his chair on the other side of the room and made his way over to (Y/n).

"Do you need help?" He asked, trailing towards (Y/n)'s side and stopping as he reached the mirror that they both seemed to be looking into.

"Yes. Please." She huffed, dropping the strings of her dress' lace in an exasperated huff as she had given up trying to sort it out herself.

Dream carefully picked up the laces that she had dropped down and held them back up,. He clasped the thin ribbons on the back of her gown and pulled it gently before tying the two knots together into a little bow on the back of (Y/n)'s outfit.

"Thank you, Dream." She smiled, finally exhaling the air that had been building up in her chest from being stood in such an uncomfortable position right in front of the looking glass.

Dream's eyes fell to her reflection and he took in her beauty for a short while. A small sigh escaped his lips as (Y/n)'s hand fell to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. While glancing back up, she caught sight of the green in his eyes that shone under the luminescent lighting of the vanity mirrors and fell quiet in a little bit of surprise.

"Dream?" She murmured softly.

"Sorry, I..." He shook his head and snapped himself back into reality. "You just look... really beautiful."

A hint of blush crept up (Y/n)'s face as she beamed brightly at the sweet compliment she had just received. Dream gave her compliments a lot. But this one felt different. This one strangely set off butterflies in her stomach from flattery.

"Thank you..!" (Y/n) uttered happily.

Dream hung his head down, almost in shame. He was muttering small lines under his breath and squeezing his eyes shut tightly as he tried to snap the thoughts out of his head, but they were growing at a rapid pace and they were getting louder.

"Techno..." He grumbled under his voice.

(Y/n) tilted her head slightly in confusion as she hadn't clearly caught what he had just said. She lifted her head up at Dream with her eyes furrowed and her hands clasped together.

"Huh?" She hummed. "What did you say Dream...?" Her fingers started to trace against the edge of her palm as she began to get more nervous the longer the silence drew on.

"Technoblade..." Dream repeated, looking down so that he could catch (Y/n) puzzled glaze. He inhaled sharply and brought his palms up to (Y/n)'s face so that he could cup her cheeks before intensely looking over into the windows of her soul, those beautiful (e/c) eyes of hers. "He's not worthy of your beauty." He uttered flatly.

(Y/n)'s face went completely red and she felt the warmth in Dream's hands radiate against her cold skin. Sweat started to drip down the side of her face in nervousness and her knees felt weaker the more intense the gaze between them became.

"W-What?" She blushed profusely and held her hand up so that her palm could run across the back of his, her breath hitching. "...Am I hearing you correctly?"

His eyelashes fluttered and his stomach became heavy with the butterflies that swirled inside of him uncontrollably. The tips of (Y/n)'s fingers laid across the back of his hand in a soft and gentle manner.

"I hate feeling this way.

I feel creepy.

I shouldn't be thinking of this."

The words echoed in his head, which he purposely tried to ignore again. He nodded softly at (Y/n) previous question and sighed.

"Technoblade doesn't deserve you. You were supposed to be mine... This was supposed to be our big day." He uttered his wishful hopes that were crushed by Technoblade's former proposal to (Y/n).

"What are you talking about, Dream?" Their voice lowered as they got even more nervous as the seconds passed. It seemed like he needed a long time to think about what he should say.

"(Y/n), I love you. I love you more than he loves you." He stated swiftly, feeling the words pouring out of his mouth like a waterfall. It was uncontrollable at this point. His emotions had just gotten the better of him.

"What?"

"Did you not hear me correctly?" He began. "I said that I love you. This wasn't supposed to be yours and Techno's wedding. It was supposed to be ours."

"What do you mean by that?" She questioned steadily.

"This was my dream." He bit his tongue.

"Dream, why..." she cleared her throat, trying to make it easier for her to speak. It didn't, her words still felt as heavy as ever and it hurt her to say. "...Why are you only saying this now?"

"Because..." his hand pulled away from (Y/n)'s face so he could ball it into a fist to dig his nails into the palm of his hand to numb the pain he felt on the inside. "Because I love you. And Technoblade could never love you as much as I do."

"Is that so...?" She croaked, her fingers flexing due to the pressure between them. Dream had leaned forward so much that their noses were practically touching. His voice was softer to her, it was like pouring honey straight into her ears.

"It is so." He stated coldly. "And if you don't stop me right now, (Y/n), it means that my affection is equally reciprocated." Dream told her slowly.

(Y/n) inhaled sharply, holding the air in her chest and keeping her breath held as she spoke, making it go a little high-pitched.

"Stop what?" She asked weakly.

All of a sudden, Dream leaned forward and planted a kiss onto (Y/n)'s soft, pink lips and felt his hand run down her arm to hold her hand. (Y/n) eyes felt wide when it first happened, but the heaviness in her chest just felt too overpowering. For once in her life, letting her guard down didn't feel so bad.

Her eyes glanced over to Dream's, which were closed for the moment. (Y/n) had a choice. It had gone in for long enough. Who did her heart truly reside with? (Y/n) was either going to pull away or stay with Dream. There was no third option.

——————————

Authors notes: This is not canon to 'At First Sight'.