14

— chapter fourteen: what happened? —

the next day mark would feel sick. not super bad but he had really strong headaches and a weird feeling in his stomach. whether it was him being irrational or having developed some sort of sixth sense but somehow he related his health issues back to donghyuck. he hadn't met the omega ever since doyoung told him that he would very likely accept donghyuck's application. which he had done but hadn't received a reply from donghyuck yet. this made mark feel somewhat worried despite his worries being irrational and without any reason or logic behind them.

therefore when doyoung announced that it would be donghyuck's first day at work mark felt a bit better already. that day he returned from work early just to see whether donghyuck had actually come and worked or not.

immediately when entering the building after coming back from work, mark smelled donghyuck's scent. his heart stopped beating for a second as he froze, his eyes instantly searching the crowd of customers. as soon as they found donghyuck the alpha sighed in relief. he sprinted upstairs, got changed and freshened himself up before skipping down the stairs again. doyoung greeted him at the counter, a small smile on his lips.

"calm down. he's just in probation." the beta scolded mark who had been bombarding him with questions about how donghyuck was doing.

"he seems a bit off though. was a bit shaky when he arrived but maybe it's just the nervousness." the beta noted and then shut up as donghyuck walked by.

the omega must've picked up on mark's presence by now. if not by seeing him then through the alpha's scent. mark gulped as he felt the omega's sweet scent in his nose. he almost melted on his spot as his eyes followed donghyuck's back through the room.

"yeah, his scent is a bit weird." he said as he processed doyoung's words. indeed it was, it was somewhat more toned down. usually a sign that an omega was either mated or scared. the exact opposite would happen if donghyuck was happy, horny or angry, then his scent would be all over the place.

"well, he's doing pretty good until now. how about you be the bartender for now? taeil asked me to help him with some papers." doyoung said. mark nodded in agreement and switched positions with doyoung who was waving and mumbling under his breath "don't fuck up."

mark frowned as he had hoped to already have gained enough of doyoung's trust that he was able work properly without having one of his aggression outbreaks. however he quickly put on his professional smile which he also used when working in the company. the first customers soon had to be served so mark made them their drinks, always keeping an eye on donghyuck who seemed to be busy picking up people's orders.

after what felt like years donghyuck finally moved to the counter to give mark some of the orders. their eyes met but the omega quickly looked down, confusing mark.

"i'm happy you got the job." he smiled however.

"so am i." donghyuck replied. it sounded like he was lying but mark could tell he wasn't. but something was definitely off. this wasn't the confident and sassy donghyuck mark knew.

"anyways... seems like we're going to se each other more often now." mark commented to which donghyuck only replied with a curt nod. he took a step closer and leaned over the counter to grab the drinks mark had finished. while doing so he accidentally exposed some skin which usually would be hidden by his sweater. and that was when mark saw it. a few blue and purple marks on his neck.

"what's that?" he asked and immediately regretted doing so as donghyuck instantly retreated. mark could smell a sudden fear in his scent which donghyuck had not been fast enough to suppress.