17

— chapter seventeen: trauma —
[trigger warning: sexual assault]

following taeil's suggestion, in the next few days mark tried to feel if there was any connection to donghyuck that would indicate that the boy was his mate. and weirdly enough he did feel something. it wasn't the usual butterflies in your stomach kind if thing, even though mark did have that too, but sometimes he could sense how donghyuck was feeling. if the omega was happy, sad or anxious and more often then not mark would feel with him. if donghyuck was tired, so was mark and apparently it was the other way around as well.

one day however, donghyuck's scent was suppressed. this was probably due to the boy taking heat suppressants so he could still go to work. that day mark only saw him briefly in morning, however made the plan for himself to help out in cafe in the afternoon as he would he off earlier today.

when he returned from work which got more boring by the day, he somewhat looked forward to working as a bartender. it was good to keep himself busy and such a nice distraction from his lame job at the company. doyoung was very grateful for mark offering his help as the man had another date with johnny. of course, mark couldn't let the beta go without tons of teasing but once doyoung had exited the building, mark became serious and started handing out the beverages to customers. donghyuck passed by from now and then to make coffees or give mark orders which the omega would then deliver to the tables.

and like that the afternoon passed by. mark happily hummed along to the background music that was currently playing before his mood changed all of a sudden. he knew that this were in fact not his own feelings but donghyuck's which lead him to instantly searching the room for the omega. his eyes found the boy at a table, speaking to a customer. it was across the room however mark's good eyes instantly detected that donghyuck was uncomfortable or rather scared as he had his head down. trying very hard, mark listened carefully.

he couldn't make out a lot but obviously the customer was upset as his voice was raised. donghyuck spoke way too quiet than mark was able to hear it. suddenly the customer raised his hand, making donghyuck flinch.

all of mark's attention was now on the scene, tense and ready to move if anything happened to donghyuck. his alpha instincts were kicking in and told him to protect the boy right now. however mark tried to resist the urge as he knew donghyuck was very independent and didn't like mark being in his business.

all these thoughts however disappeared immediately when the customer touched donghyuck's butt and tightly grabbed it with a dirty smirk on his face. obviously donghyuck backed away, swatting the man's hand away. mark couldn't stop himself anymore and speed walked over to the booth.

"hey!" he exclaimed. the closer he got the more donghyuck's smell of fear and the man's strong alpha scent filled mark's nose. of course, it was an alpha, mark thought with contempt.

"what's the issue here?" he asked, his voice raising with each word. donghyuck grabbed his arm and whispered with teary eyes and shaky voice "calm down, mark. please."

"this little bitch won't let me touch him. i just want him to help him out in his heat." the customer said rudely, scoffing and eyeing donghyuck up and down hungrily. mark clenched his jaw as he realized what was going on. he wanted to yell at the man so badly, better just punch him straight in face so he would be out and not able to do any harm to donghyuck anymore.

"if you can smell he's in heat then you can also smell he's taking heat suppressants. that means he obviously does not need you to 'help him out'. so why are you touching him?!" mark said through his gritted teeth "you're an alpha too, you should now how horny we get. come on dude, don't take it so seriously!" the man said.