11 - Nightfall Escape

You smile at the two Umbreons, but you don't mean it. Instead, you begin to plot an escape. You pad out from between where they are standing and curl up in a corner. They look at you, somewhat disappointed, but they seem alright to let you stay there.

The pink and white creature comes over and waves at you with one of his tentacles. Instead, you turn your head away. After a moment, you hear something being set on the ground beside you, and pawsteps moving away. You look over and see that he left you some sort of fruit. Useful if you're going to be travelling solo, since you might have a hard time hunting. You eat half of the large fruit, which is incredibly, almost intolerably sweet, then curl up in the corner again. These guys don't seem to mean you any harm, but you remember Lusaka, and are certain she must be worried sick. You fall asleep thinking of her...

You wake up to darkness. The unexplained light seems to have gone out, and looking over at the den's entrance you can see night time stars. You can also see the yellow glow of Jan's eyes watching you. You test her; you stand up, and you see her eyes move up, indicating that she must've taken her head off of her paws. Guess she won't let you go that easily. You turn your stand into a stretch, and lay back down, keeping your eyes closed but trying to stay awake.

After maybe ten minutes, you wink an eye open and look at where Jan was again. It looks like she's asleep now, and judging by what you can see, so are the others. Now's as good a time as any to escape. 

You pick up your half fruit in your tiny jaws and sneak over to the entrance of the den. You look back, just to be sure no one is watching. You catch the glint of an eye... but it's just one of the other Eevees, and they go back to sleep quickly. You breath a little sigh of relief, then continue on your way.

You stumble through the forest, hopelessly lost in the dark. You can hear creatures moving through the night, but what creatures they are, you could not say. In this light you're practically blind. As you walk, you eat through the fruit, until there is nothing left. You keep going.

Eventually, nature calls, and you have to stop for a moment. As soon as you're finished, you hear a lot of rustling behind you, approaching quickly. Then you feel claws around your body, the same as you felt when Jan had to rescue you...

You feel yourself raised up to what feels, to your tiny self, like miles, until you are staring into the face of that same creature from earlier, and you realise no one is coming to save you this time.

You let out a whimper, and for some reason, can't hold yourself back from sobbing. You shut your eyes and squirm, but you know it's no use. Then you hear a slightly gruff voice...

"O-oh! I-I didn't know you were still a baby... uhhh... s-sorry..."

You feel the claws relax their grip, and you can feel his other paw holding you from beneath. He licks your face, trying to cheer you up, whilst looking around for any sign of your family. "So, uh... why were you in that Flareon's camp? I know you ain't her kid..."

"I-I don't know... how I g-got here," you stutter. "Sh-she was taking care of me..."

The creature's eyes widen slightly. "Ah... hate to break it to you, but... she's dead... I saw a Vappy knock her out and chuck her over the waterfall. No non-Vap Eeveelution's gonna survive that, no matter how fluffy they are..."

You squeak slightly, and you can feel the tears coming again. "D-dead?! Wh-why did that thing kill her?!"

The creature sighs... "Well, she was kinda in his territory, and I know he can get... aggressive... when he's trying to get people out..." 

You can't help but curl into a ball and cry. In your short time of being with her, you had felt that you had a connection with her, something more than just a stranger, but something... motherly, perhaps... but not anymore...

The creature holds you awkwardly, then quickly sets off through the forest, but all you can sense is the gentle jostle of his running. Eventually, he tucks you close to his chest and crouches into a ball, rolling into a cave a short way before you hear him yell "catch!" and feel yourself flying through the air, only to be caught by another long-clawed creature, with aggressive fangs, stark black and white highlights all over his body, and surprisingly soft fur. 

"What the?! Dude! You can't just throw a baby like that!" you hear him say. He holds you close to his chest, rocking you gently, for he can see your anguish.

"Found this kid in the forest, all alone. Says that Flareon I told you about was caring for it," the first creature says. This new one makes a sound of pity, and gently squeezes you.

"Don't worry child, we'll care for you... you can call me Cluj... I'm an Obstagoon... and that's Proto, since I'm sure he didn't tell you..." he gives you a gentle squeeze, then offers you a fruit, similar to the one you were eating on your journey. You take it, and eat, and you notice Proto shudder slightly, hearing him mumble something about "frickin' vegetables." But whether or not you trust these people is something you can't really think about right now. You're exhausted from crying, and from journeying, and Cluj is so soft and fluffy that you quickly fall asleep...

--

You may proceed to [12].