Prologue

Tommy tugged at the hood covering his head, shivering. The hoodie he wore had a multitude of rips and tears, and he didn't have time to grab a change of clothes before he hit the streets.

He ducked into an alleyway, weaving around piles of discarded rubbish and stepping over broken glass. His shoes were thin, after all, and he didn't want to start bleeding.

Once he found himself a suitable distance away from the nearest street, he slumped against the alley wall. He slid down the wall, and into a sitting position on the ground.

He pulled down his hood, brushing a single hand through his hair. Once the hood was down, a pair of canine ears sprung up from their hiding place, nestled within the boy's tousled hair.

A similar animalistic tail revealed itself from the back of Tommy's faded jeans. He stretched, popping his back. God, it felt good to have his tail out again. Having it tucked away at all times was definitely detrimental to his health.

His honey-furred ears were alert, checking to see if anyone had followed him into the alleyway. If anyone had seen just what he was.

Once his surroundings had been thoroughly checked, Tommy began to set up for the night. Yup, the night.

He'd have to sleep here.

Out in the cold. And, judging by the dark clouds gathering above, the rain too.

Tommy swung the bag off his back, and laid it onto the ground. If he was going to be sleeping there, he at least wanted to have a pillow. Sleeping without one had to be bad for his spine or something.

His head resting on the lumpy bag, Tommy let out a sigh. He just had to make it through the night. Through the night, and he could find better accommodations in the morning. Maybe get out of this stupid city, if he was lucky.

That sounded nice.

Despite the wind, light rain, and chill that seeped into his bones, Tommy somehow managed to lull himself to sleep. Maybe it was the thoughts of a brighter future. Maybe the lack of sleep had finally caught up to him. Who knew?

Being able to sleep for once was nice, but waking up was, quite honestly, bullshit. His ears twitched, and he jerked awake. He frantically checked the alleyway, before spotting a small calico cat near the entrance.

Phew.

Tommy rested his head against the cool stone of the building. Jesus, he almost had a heart attack. He sat idly for a moment longer. It was almost peaceful here.

"Precious! Precious, sweetie, where are you!"

Before he could blink, he'd locked eyes with a human, who stared slack-jawed from the entrance of the alleyway. A human.

A human.

Shit. Shitshitshitshitshit-

Tommy pulled his hood up in a panic, tucking his tail in, before booking it, shoving past the human who'd blown his entire operation.

Unfortunately, his push hadn't been quite as strong as he'd hoped, for the human recovered quickly, and began to give chase.

He broke away from the alleyways and onto the busy city streets. If he played his cards right, he could definitely lose his pursuer-

"Hybrid! Hybrid, right there, red hoodie!"

He could feel himself getting pointed at, and resolved to run faster.

He was a fast runner. His problems had never caught up to him before, and they surely didn't need to start now.

He slipped through crowds, pushing past normal people, families on daily outings. He felt a twinge of jealousy. Hatred for something he couldn't have.

Jealousy didn't get you far when you were running from God-knows how many people (and Tommy didn't really want to check), so he cast it aside.

Looking back on every mistake he had made in his life, Tommy resolved that going into an alleyway wasn't one of them. He spotted a convenient alleyway, God, the inner city had a lot of alleys, and ducked in.

He heard footsteps rumble past the alley, and breathed a sigh of relief. He wandered further into the alley, and leaned against the wall.

Shit.

He'd been doing a lot of cursing today. Honestly, it was justified, seeing as he had forgotten his bag in the panic. He shrugged it off. He could always go back and get it once everything had blown over. After all, hybrids got discovered every five minutes. He'd be old news in no time-

The echoed noise of footfalls in the otherwise quiet alley broke Tommy's train of thought. He snapped his head to the left, further into the alley.

Stepping out of the shadows, a figure revealed themselves.

They wore a brown bomber jacket, which did not conceal the protective vest underneath. Fiery orange hair stood out among the dull colours the person wore.

Tommy made eye contact with them, which only served to further the unease he felt.

"Uh... hey-"

Before Tommy could get a sentence out, he felt something prick his neck. The next thing he knew, he was on the ground, the world was blurry, and the person was saying something into a... walkie-talkie?

He hadn't even been able to catch his breath, and he'd already been nabbed?

Fuck.