Chapter One - DEMON

Chaos is an angel who fell in love with a demon. -Chris Poindexter

"Y/n, don't forget dinner is in the fridge," my mom yelled up the stairs before leaving for work. I had forgotten she had switched to night shift.

"Okay," I answered. The door shut and I walked down to lock it behind her. Call me paranoid, and you're right, but you can never be too careful. The scariest creatures to walk the Earth are humankind. They're the only ones capable of having ill-intent for the hell of it. Unless you believe in angels and demons.

My friend was a big believer in all supernatural. Ghosts, demons, hell, you name it. I was skeptical about it all.

F/n had once told me about Lilith, the very first woman that God has made from dirt just as Adam was made. Lucifer had fallen in love with her, though she was bound to Adam. Lilith said that Adam and her were made equally and didn't believe she should have to lay beneath Adam and play a subservient role. She grew wings and wandered the Earth. God created Eve in exact likeness of Lilith, besides the fact that Eve was created from Adam's rib. No longer equal.

Throughout my friend's ranting and storytelling, this was my all-time favorite story. It's no wonder Lucifer was so upset and tempted Eve. She was the exact replica of Lilith, the woman he had fallen in love with. She added that Lucifer and Adam had both had sex with Eve in the garden, thus the birth of Cain and Abel. God favored Abel's offering because his brother was the spawn of the actual devil, while he was Adam's offspring.

F/n called me shortly after my mom had left to work saying she had bought a spirit board, the curiosity built up inside me and I couldn't say no. "This is gonna be so fucking cool," F/n smile deviously in my doorway. She had her backpack, which I guess is full of all sorts of ungodly material. I let her inside my house, making sure to lock the door. She noticed and rolled her eyes, "Scared?"

"Pfft, no. I'm ready to see nothing happen," I countered, following her up to my room. She laughed knowing very well that there was a part of me that wanted something to happen.

In my bedroom, I picked up some dirty laundry, throwing it into the basket. The room wasn't that dirty, mostly just clothes that I needed to wash. We cleared a space on the carpeted floor, and F/n unzipped her backpack.

"Don't piss yourself too much when we talk to a spirit, though." She pulled out the spirit board, along with the planchet. "First, we need to cover the rules. Don't take your hand off the planchet, even if you're scared. If something goes wrong, we'll say goodbye. Respect the board, you can think it's fun, just don't make fun of it or disrespect it."

I nod along with her rules. "Anything else?" The box said 12+ could play with a spirit board, because that's just what every twelve year old would want. To summon the actual devil.

"Nope, we can get started!" F/n smirked at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, whatever," I set two fingers on the planchet, and she did as well. We moved the planchet in clockwise circles, F/n said we were opening communication with anyone. The planchet rests on the 'G' while she thinks for a moment.

"Is there anyone here with us," she asked, her voice suddenly a bit awkward. I glance between her and the board. The planchet doesn't move.

I smirk, "I told you-" The planchet moved quickly to 'yes' and I could tell F/n didn't move it since it had ripped both our fingers from the planchet. We quickly placed our fingers back on. "What the fuck."

She looked at me wide eyed, "This is fucking amazing. Whatever we're talking to is really powerful." Her amazed comment didn't make me feel anything less of scared shitless. "What's your name?" Her voice was way more enthused.

The planchet moved more slowly to D, and then a little faster to E. I spoke the letters out loud so we could remember. It jerked to M, and in the back of my mind I was getting a terrible feeling. It moved to O, and N. DEMON.

F/n looked up at me with a giant grin. I, on the other hand, felt sick to my stomach. The planchet began to move quickly from 0, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. "What the-" It went back to zero, doing the same pattern. I looked up at F/n, but she was just staring down with a smile.

"It's trying to escape the board," she said, quietly. I quickly pushed the planchet to goodbye. F/n looked up at me, furrowing her eyebrows. "What? I thought you didn't believe in this stuff, Y/n?"

I stood up, wanting to get as far away from her as I possibly could. "Get out of my house. You'll respect that board, but you won't respect me and my house. You know how I feel about this."

F/n looked up at me from the floor, "You can't seriously be mad right now! Do you really think we were talking to a fucking demon? Spirits can lie, I swear you're being dramatic!"

"Get out of my house, F/n."

She sighed, throwing her shit in her backpack. "See you Monday." I nod, and follow her down to the door. She left not saying another word, and I locked the door behind her. A locked door can't save me from the paranoia now.

I decided to turn on the living room lights and television to distract myself from what had just happened. She left out the rule about how spirits try escaping the board. Why would she do that?

I had finally calmed down and didn't think I could stay up until my mom came home. I double checked every door and window. If you were alone all the time like I am, you might understand why I was scared.

Switching off the television and the light, I ran up the stairs to my room. I shut the door behind me, and took a breath. My vision on the floor and then to my bed where I see the figure of a boy. My eyes widened and I screamed. "Who the fuck are you?"

The boy seemed startled by my reaction, "Who the fuck do you think I am?" My room was dense with an overwhelming energy.

"A burglar?" I went to reach for the doorknob, wanting to get away from him, though he didn't look like a threat. "Who are you?"

He rolled his eyes, "You'd think you'd know a demon when you see one, huh? That's not the case most of the time, we can hide in plain sight, you know." He was human, at least on the outside. He had black hair that rested at jaw level, and hazel eyes. This 'demon' wasn't what I'd think one would look like. In my mind, I pictured something more vulgar. Red, rotting flesh. Wiry horns, sharp teeth, narrow eyes, long ears. You know, the stereotypical manifestation of evil.

I tried to stay calm, "You can't be serious." My breathing was turning into hyperventilation. It was impossible to stay calm. Tingling rushed up my fingers, up to my arms. "You- you can't be... uh," I saw tunnel vision and everything went dark.