Chapter Fifteen - One Thousand Souls

If only we could feel what we remember, and not just remember what we felt. - Christopher Poindexter

I was pressed close against Frank as we walked outside the cavern. It was extremely warm, and dim. Was this Hell? Or Purgatory?

Frank looked down at me as if he could read my mind, "This is Limbo, where souls are deprived of the joy of being in heaven or whatever." He didn't seem to like it here. "But Brendon controls Limbo. Souls try to work off their sin so that when the time comes that they'll have a better chance of escaping Hell, but it's mostly useless."

Dallon nodded, "It's much better now that Brendon is in charge. . . Before him, you couldn't hear anything over the screams of agony. The poor souls don't know what's awaiting them in Hell, though."

I glanced at my friends who were noticeably in shock. Besides Mikey, he seemed to have a deeper understanding than the rest of us.

Gerard was being his usual talkative self, besides sounding unsure with himself. He was bombarding Dallon with all sorts of questions about Mikey, and limbo, and who ran Limbo before Brendon. Why was Brendon so powerful? Was he like the devil? I couldn't help but smile at his rambling, and seeing Dallon looking overwhelmed and not knowing what to say was funny.

While F/n looked freaked out, I could tell she was trying to take in everything so she could remember to write it all down when we returned. Frank squeezing my hand brought me out of my thoughts.

"Okay, you guys have to wait here. Mortals can't enter the underworld." He kept a hold of my hand, about to take me with him, but I stayed still.

I look over at my friends and Dallon. I was worried. "If mortals can't enter, why can I?"

"We can talk about that later, babe, c'mon."

My eyes stayed on everyone else. Dallon offered me a smile, and gestured for me to go. I don't know what's going to happen to me, and I'm scared. But I can't just go home.

F/n walked up to me and hugged me. "Be safe, alright? Take this." She held out a black stone wrapped in wire, attached to a necklace string. She put it over my neck and smiled. "I'll be here waiting for you." I nodded and hugged her one last time.

I returned to Frank's side, and grabbed a hold of his hand. He felt more alive than he ever had. His skin was warm, and glowing. Maybe because he wasn't using energy to manifest anymore. I smiled up at him, and he nodded.

For a moment, I wondered why it wasn't Dallon going with me. Wasn't he the one who was 'friends' with Brendon? Didn't Dallon say that Brendon hated Frank's guts? Before I could voice any of this, it was too late.

A light flashed around us, forcing me to close my eyes tightly. I felt Frank's hand disappear in mine. As if he was never there. I looked over, trying to take a glimpse at where he had gone, but the light was too intense.

My body felt weightless, almost floating, like how you feel in water. My ears had felt full as if there was noise, but nothing I could actually hear out loud. Something in a frequency my ears could not pick up.

Suddenly, it went silent and my body dropped to the ground. It was hard, and my knees felt sore. I opened my eyes, and it was dim. I could barely see after being in such a vivid light.

"Frank?" There was no reply, and I was scared I was all alone.

My head ached as my eyes began to adjust to the darkness of the room. After a moment, I realized I was in a cell. At least, I think it was a cell. There were bars made of bones. I tried to push open the door, but it didn't budge. I tried calling out for Frank several more times.

And now, I began to feel like a fool. Was this the plan all along? Not only had a demon convinced me that I was in love, but he led me and all my friends to Hell. If anything happened to them, it would be all my fault for trusting an evil entity.

If I continued being a skeptic, this wouldn't have happened. If I called the police the night Frank was in my house, and if I prayed to God, and went to church. Maybe I wouldn't be who the fuck knows where.

The longer I sat there, the more dumb I felt. I tried to fight the urge to cry, but one escaped, landing on the dusty floor. I sighed, wiping my face with my sleeves.

I heard a creaking door, and a latch shut closed. I couldn't see where the noises were coming from. I tried to squint into the room outside of the cell I was in.

"Boo!" A face appeared in front of mine, and I stumbled backwards. This demon had blue skin, and horns protruding from his skull. His teeth were pointy, and his eyes were inhuman. This is how I expected a demon to look like. "I really scared you, didn't I?" My eyes were fixed on him, but I couldn't speak. Where was Frank?

The demon smirked. "Your little boyfriend? He's on his way back to Earth with your friends. They aren't very happy with him after our deal." I looked away from him, trying not to listen. When I looked back at him, he appeared almost normal. Maybe the whole stereotypical 'demon' disguise was to scare me.

"Aren't you wanting to know about the deal Frank made?"

I shrugged. I had already thought about every possibility to why I was in a cell. I didn't want to know if the truth was worse.

The door flew open, and I flinched. "You're not making this very fun. He wants me to make you immortal." The man walked closer to me, he wasn't quite as tall as Dallon, but he was still taller than Frank. "In return, he's going to give me the souls of a thousand bad men."

Brendon knelt down beside me, still wearing a smirk. "I heard Alora was after your vessel, you're lucky you came here when you did. No demons are allowed here without my okay."

I rolled my eyes, "Great. So, what? Frank's going to kill a thousand men just so I'll live forever?" The thought of a thousand lives being taken over my life was unsettling.

"Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound that romantic."