Chapter Three - What's The Fun In That?

Never could I breath love if I did not first learn to inhale a little bit of chaos. -Christopher Poindexter

In the shower, I woke up more with the hot water. It was almost noon, so I was surprised my mom hadn't come upstairs yet, then again she could still be asleep. I quickly got dressed, and retreated back to my room.

Frank was sitting at my desk, holding an empty notebook I had. He was writing, and I walked over to peak at the page. "Okay, stalker," Frank spoke in a joking manner. He shut the notebook and set it back on my desk.

"Says the one in my room." I didn't know what to do today. My mom would get suspicious if she heard me talking in my room alone all day. "Do you want to go out? Well, uh, I mean outside for like a walk or something."

The demon smirked, "That was real smooth, Y/n. You don't want your mom to see a random boy in your room, right?" Frank voiced my exact concern. He stood up, "Alright, I'll meet you out on the sidewalk."

"What?" He was gone in a blink of an eye and I looked out the window. Frank waved up at me, winking. I sighed to myself, "What an idiot." When I walked downstairs, my mom looked up from the couch at me.

"Hey, how'd you sleep? You look better," she smiled at me.

I nod, "Yeah, it was good. How was work last night?" She absolutely hated the night shift but she had to carry the shifts no one else wanted, and right now, no one wanted the night shift. Before this week she was lucky to have an eight to four Monday through Friday. Now her schedule was all fucked up and I felt bad for her.

She smiled, "It's different." Her voice trailed off and she looked at my shoes. "Oh, were you going somewhere?"

"Yeah, is it alright if I go for a walk?" My mom just nods and says to be safe. Little does she know I'm going on a walk with a literal demon boy. I closed the front door and was met by a bored looking Frank.

"What the fuck took so long?" He complained, following beside me as we walked. "You took like ten hours."

I scoffed, "I was talking to my mom, and it was like three minutes tops!" In a weird way, it was easy to talk to Frank. Despite it was mostly arguing.

"You know how much shit I could get done in three minutes? Like a lot of shit, Y/n," he said unspecifically. I laughed at this, he sounded ridiculous. "Where are we going anyway? I'm fucking bored."

Shrugging, I try to think. "We could get coffee, if you want. There's a café not that far up here." F/n and I would always go there to do homework after school. Really it was a popular hangout spot for teenagers.

"Alright," he responded. On the walk there, Frank kept asking me about the town, and what had been happening. "That building wasn't there the last time I was here." The cafe had originally been built fifteen years ago, which made me wonder how long he had been trapped outside of Earth.

When we got inside the café, I ordered our drinks, paid, and sat in a booth. Frank was really amused by how shy I was while taking our order. "I didn't take you for the nervous type." He laughed. "Oh! And when you stuttered! That was hilarious."

"Yeah, whateverrr." Even if he was laughing at my shyness, and getting on my nerves, it was cute seeing him not all stoic and disinterested. His laugh was adorable. Well, cute and adorable in a sense. We got our drinks, and I looked up at the café's door. F/n walked in.

"Oh, fuck," I muttered, trying to hide my face. But it was too late and she was walking our way. What would I tell her? No words were forming in my mind.

Frank had a confused look on his face, "Is that the stupid friend?" I just nod quickly, not wanting to talk since she was now standing at our table.

"Hey, Y/n. I didn't expect to see you here." She gave an awkward glance at Frank and then looked back at me. She was wringing her hands nervously. "I just want to apologize about last night, it was unfair to you what I did. I should've taken your feelings into account."

I nod, "Thank you. I'm sorry, too, for, you know, overreacting. It's not like anything bad happened."

F/n smiled, "Yeah, that's good. A demon didn't crawl out of the board and kill us, so." She laughed, expecting me to laugh too. Frank choked on his drink after hearing what she had said. Now that, I laughed at.

"What's wrong, Frankie?" I mocked him subtly, and he glared at me. His foot hit my leg under the table. I held in a laugh, not wanting to make F/n too uncomfortable.

"Nothing, babe," he said in the same tone. My face warmed up now that F/n was here to witness that nickname. It was an obvious joke to me, but to her, it seemed like a genuine term of endearment.

I looked up at her and she looked very lost. "So, who's this?" She took a seat beside me, causing me to scoot a bit closer to Frank. When I made eye contact with him for a split second, he smirked, waiting for me to respond.

"This is Frank, my, uh." My brain decided to die in that moment because I didn't know what to consider Frank. A friend? A demon that you summoned?

"Boyfriend," Frank finished my sentence, still wearing his smug smirk. My jaw almost dropped, but I stopped myself. I looked wide eyed at him. Is he out of his mind?

I look back over at F/n, trying to act natural. "Yeah, that." It was her turn to act surprised.

"And you didn't tell me?" She pouted. "I thought we were best friends, N/n!" I laughed somewhat awkwardly at her act. "But seriously, you have to tell me everything next time we hang out. My aunt wanted me to pick her up some tea and head back home, so I'll catch you guys later!"

"Okay," I replied. "Bye." I smiled and waved at her as she grabbed the order and walked out of the café.

Once she was out of sight, I turned to the demon sitting close beside me. "Are you out of your mind?"

"How'd you know?" He gasped, acting surprised. Despite him making me laugh, I was not thrilled with the fact that my best friend, and the girl with the biggest mouth at school thinks I had a boyfriend. "You were frozen, I had to say something."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Yeah, like you couldn't say we were just friends?" Though even if he did say that, F/n would have her suspicions and it would turn out all the same.

"I could've," Frank smiled down at me. "But what's the fun in that?"

"Whatever."