Chapter Twelve - Couldn't Handle The Heat

My hunger for writing will die when I have bled for the humans who never found the strength to find the words themselves. - Christopher Poindexter

"Your friend is an expert on the supernatural?" Dallon asked, sounding like he didn't believe me. But honestly, after me believing every word that came out of his mouth should be proof enough that I wasn't lying either.

"Yep," I reply, texting Frank telling him where I would be. He still hadn't shown up to my house and that worried me. I left my mom a note on the fridge saying I would be with F/n, which was true. I was glad her house was close by, being outside began to make me nervous.

Dallon commented on how slow I was being. "We need to hurry, being out here is dangerous, you know?" I nod, quickening my pace, though I wanted to slap him. When I got to the door and knocked. Ray answered.

"Oh, hey, Y/n," he smiled. "What are you up to?" He never once looked over at the man who was taller than him by a couple inches. Then I remembered he couldn't manifest himself.

I offered a smile back, despite feeling overwhelmed. "I wanted to talk to F/n, if she's here." He nodded and let me in. Dallon obviously followed behind me.

"She's in her room. I'll see you later, I'm going over to Gee and Mikey's." I nod and say goodbye. Him not being here was a good thing. I don't think I could talk to F/n with Ray hovering.

"Alright, let's go," I walk up the stairs and knock on her bedroom door. She opens up, looking surprised to see me. It was rare that I ever came to their house.

F/n smiled, "Hey! What are you doing here?"

"I had a few questions about demons and was hoping you'd have some answers." Dallon followed both of us into her room. I wished that F/n had the ability to see him. This was hard.

She immediately went over to her shelf, pulling some notebooks. "Okay... What about? Fallen angels? Their abilities? Possession?"

Dallon nodded to me, wanting me to ask about possession. He whispered, "Ask what happens to the spirit of the vessel."

"F/n, what happens to a person's spirit when a demon possesses them?"

Before answering, she looked around the room, her expression seeming a little spooked.

"Sorry... I thought I heard something." She opened her notebook, looking at her neat table of contents. I've always admired how organized and ambitious she was. She's spent years collecting new information, even if other people saw her as weird.

"There's only theories, obviously, all of this is based on theories. But the most popular is that your spirit is sent to limbo while waiting for your empty vessel. Many wait for months or years only to return to a suffering, basically dead body. Their last moments are awful and they're sent back to limbo where they'll be sent where they are seen as fit."

I glanced over at Dallon to see what he thought. He nodded, seeming lost in thought.

"So, are you going to tell me what this is all about?" F/n's voice was concerned, and confused. I wait for Dallon to show me what to say. He shakes his head.

I look up at her, feeling terrible. "One day I will, I promise. I just need to fix it first." Dallon grabbed my shoulder, and I knew it was time to leave. "I'll see you later, F/n."

The fast walk back to my house was quiet. I was sad when I walked in my room and Frank was still nowhere to be found. "We got the answer, are you going to let me help now?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "I think I'll need all the help I can get... I just wish Frank was here." Dallon asked about Frank, and I caught him up quickly with what had been happening for the past week.

To him, he looked like he had pieced everything together. "That's it! I know why every demon around is coming to this town." I waited for him to elaborate, but a demon appeared in the center of my room.

"Frank!" I threw my arms around him, and he chuckled, holding me back. His eyes darted to the taller, weaker demon. "This is Dallon," I explained, pulling away from him.

He nods, "Yeah, I know. What's he doing here with you?" His demeanor suddenly seemed angry, and the atmosphere was beginning to make me feel dizzy.

"Why don't you let him tell you?" I laid back on my bad, and Frank sat down beside me, keeping his eyes on Dallon. He raised an eyebrow waiting for his explanation. He did explain, trying not to be intimidated by Frank's presence, but it was obvious he was nervous.

Probably even more nervous than Ray was around him, and that was hard to beat.

When he finished explaining how he needed to help me control my 'abilities', Frank laughed, and he laughed hard. "You?" He facepalmed, still chuckling. "You, one of the weakest demons I know, want to help her with her quote on quote abilities? That's hilarious. You never told me you were a comedian on the side of being a total idiot!" I never saw him talk down to someone as he did to Dallon.

Dallon was noticeably upset, and that was completely valid. "Hey, stop." I looked at Frank, and he seemed surprised that I told him not to making fun of him. "He's being nice, why aren't you?"

"Because! This idiot had a chance of being one of the most powerful beings in the universe and he quit! He was side by side with Brendon, but he couldn't handle the heat, huh, Dal? Just like Ryan and Spence?" I had no idea what the shorter demon was going on about, but I didn't like how patronizing he was being to Dallon. "You can't help Y/n. I've been trying to avoid this for as long as I can, but thanks."

I didn't like the way he was talking as if I wasn't even there. "Don't I have the right to know what the fuck is going on?"

Dallon spoke, quietly, "She's going to die if someone doesn't help, Frank." Die?

"I know." He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me into his lap. "But I'm not going to let that happen... We'll figure this out together, okay, babe?" I just looked at him in shock, not knowing how to respond. Die? Seriously die?

The taller boy looked at us, with a confused look, "You two are--?" His voice trailed off and he decided not to continue speaking. "Anyway." He walked over to the window, taking a peek outside. "You can ridicule me all you want, but you know only Brendon has enough power to actually help. He hates your guts, man. But he'll listen to me... We just have to get her to him."

"Who the Hell is Brendon?"