Chapter Eight - "Spirit Hunt"

What terrifies me most is not being able to make sense of my vulnerability. My softness is my reward, but the world is cruel and constantly makes me question it. - Christopher Poindexter

The next day at school, I was exhausted. I had slept for quite a while, too! I guess this was normal, but it just seemed different now. F/n sat next to me, "Wow, you look tired."

I smiled, "I feel tired, too." What she said next, almost made my blood run cold.

"Maybe something did come out of the board. Spirits suck the energy out of living things and technology, too. Has anything happened recently?" She noticed that I had frozen in my position. My heart felt like it was going to explode. "Something has happened, hasn't it? I knew you were acting off!"

I nod, slightly. "Uhh." I hoped Frank wasn't 'eavesdropping' on us. I don't think he could, since he said he was going to Hell today. The lack of text messages proved this to be true. Lately, I've been getting better at making up excuses on the spot. "It's just the energy is off."

"No way," she replied, seeming excited. "But nothing too terrible, right?" I nod, nothing terrible at all. "Can I come over tonight? I wanna know what you're talking about."

I thought for a moment. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal. "Alright, yeah. After my mom goes to work at six." She nods, and our conversation is interrupted by the teacher starting class.

Before I knew it, the day was over. The days had been going by faster than usual. I wasn't complaining though. I walked home, Ray and F/n walking with me.

"So, did Frank leave?" Ray asked. I guess he didn't like Frank. He did make Ray scared of him, so it made sense.

"No, he might come over tonight, too. I'm not sure, though." That would be a good excuse if Frank were to walk into my room while F/n was there.

F/n smirked, "Oh, while your mom isn't home? That's sus. . ." I laughed, rolling my eyes. It was weird being teased like this. I mean I had always teased F/n for her little boyfriends, but I had never been close enough to a boy to get teased. Well. . . I glanced over at Ray who smiled back. He's always been a good friend. F/n wouldn't make fun of us since he was her brother, but that didn't stop Gerard from making a theatrical show out of us simply being nice to each other. He could be dramatic.

"Well, you're gonna be there!" I exclaimed, acting like Frank wasn't always in my room.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Wow! I'm gonna third wheel? Okay, I see." I didn't want her to actually feel bad about Frank being there.

Ray spoke up, "Maybe Gerard, Mikes, and I could come over, too?" I never really let anyone at my house while my mom was gone, except F/n. But Gerard, Mikey, and Ray had been my friends just as long as F/n. It wouldn't be right to seem like I would let Frank over, but not my best friends.

I nod, "Yeah, that would be cool! We could watch a movie after we go spirit hunting or whatever F/n plans on doing." Ray smiles big at me. Maybe he had felt left out ever since Frank came here. I didn't even know how long Frank planned on staying here, so I couldn't just leave out my friends in the meantime.

"Awesome! I'm gonna bring so much. . ." She trailed off, glancing at her brother who still knew nothing about our spirit experience. "Wait, Ray. You can't freak out alright?"

"Okay?" He raised an eyebrow, and we stopped walking in front of my house. I stayed, witnessing their conversation.

She grabbed a hold of his shoulders, looking up at her older brother. "What's rule number one?"

"Don't freak out," he chuckled, not taking her seriously. The three rules were a big thing in our friend group. Rule number one: Don't freak out! Rule number two: Don't freak out!! Rule number three: Repeat rule one and two! Usually we have to use these rules with Gerard since it didn't take much to make him freak out! Not even in a bad way.

I laughed at F/n as she looked around. She could be dramatic as much as Gerard could. "Well, let's just say that last Saturday, Y/n made me play with a spirit board and we accidentally released a demon or some shit."

"WOAH," I gasp. "I didn't do shit, F/n."

She sighed, jokingly, "Okayyy, I brought the spirit board, and it was my fault the spirit escaped." That was better. And more realistic. I really hoped that Frank wouldn't return until the whole 'spirit' thing was a past subject tonight. We could just watch a movie and not talk about what happened.

Ray's eyes widened, "What the fuck, F/n? That's dangerous, you could've hurt Y/--- You both could've gotten hurt." He looked over at me. "Are you alright?"

I nod, "Never been better." I wasn't really tired anymore, so maybe it wasn't due to Frank being around. Then again he's been gone all day. I ignore the fact that it could be a possibility. It wasn't terrible.

"Good," he smiles at the ground. "Well, c'mon, F/n. We'll see you tonight, Y/n. Bye." They begin to walk off after I say bye in return. I unlocked the door, and walked into the empty house. My mom wasn't here, which confused me a little bit. I walked into the kitchen, and there was a letter on the fridge.

Schedule changed again, I'll be back around 1am. Don't forget to eat. Love you - Mom
I left the letter up, and opened the fridge looking for something to eat. I settled on cooking a cup of noodles.

It was peaceful sitting in the empty living room, watching some cartoon, and eating my cup noodles. For once, I wasn't overthinking about anything. It was nice to have a break from socializing.

My phone buzzed, and I looked down to see a text from Frank.

Incubus: I did itttt! But I got some things to do, I'll see you tonight <3

Me: Yayyy okay :) Don't die

Incubus: HDUKSHGFIU
Incubus: Stupid.

Me: What was that fkdjshfkjsgu

Incubus: You do it all the time, I thought it was normal

Me: Oh yeah jfdksfjkds Don't die a second time <3

I smiled at our brief conversation, and then looked back at the cartoon. Around seven, Gerard and Mikey showed up to my house. "Yo, where's the ghost at?"

"Shut up, Gee," I laughed, letting them inside. "Hey, Mikes."

Mikey waved, "Heyy. Ray and F/n are being slow, they live closer than we do!" F/n was probably grabbing her satchel of unholy items to bring over.

The boys sat on my couch, and we talked while waiting for the other two to come over. They did, about ten minutes later. After complaining about how long they were taking, F/n used my coffee table to set out notebooks upon notebooks of information. I told you she was obsessed with this type of stuff.

"Okay, so, let's just say the spirit was not lying. It's a demon, and it's saving up energy to manifest and use it's powers. Have you noticed any electromagnetic disturbance?" My electronics did seem to die faster, but I didn't notice anything else.

Before I could answer, Gerard spoke, "Electromag-what-what?" We all laughed, and F/n explained that Demons, much like spirits, often disrupt nearby electronics with their presence. She mentioned that when there were many demons in one area, it could cause thunderstorms. That was a bit fascinating.

"Okay, but you only released one demon, right?" Ray asked, looking a bit putoff by the whole situation. I didn't blame him, I was the same with F/n most of the time. We both nod.

Mikey sighed, "Okay, but then again, this could all be a bunch of bullshit." We all just shrugged. F/n opened another notebook.

"I just have a bunch of random facts here, like they don't need food, or water, or sleep. They don't warm up or cool down. Invisibility and smoke forms." F/n was scanning the pages, not going into much detail. Gerard seemed to be getting a little bored of it, he laid against me, which was a normal thing he did with all of us.

"What are smoke forms?" I asked before she moved onto the next thing. She quickly explained that they can go into these 'smoke forms' that allows them to fly.

"Teleportation and telepathy." I already knew all about that from Frank.

The door opened, and it scared the living shit out of all of us. "Oh, hey. . ." Frank stood in the doorway, closing the door behind him. I hoped none of them realized that I had locked the door after Ray and F/n came in. No one brought it up, though. "What's going on?"