Chapter Eleven - Popular Vessel

It's funny how a slight curl from the right lips can be all the grace you'll ever need. - Christopher Poindexter

On the drive home, I was feeling anxious. I had texted Frank a few times and I was waiting impatiently for him to reply. When my phone buzzed in my lap, I had never opened my phone so fast in my life. But it wasn't Frank.

Unknown: You invited me to text you sometime. You should be careful with the things you offer to strangers.

Me: I invited you to text me not possess me, calm down a bit, lady.

Demon Waitress:  My name is Alora. I want to know more about you.

Me: Oh, so there's things you couldn't get by reading my thoughts :/ lmao

Demon Waitress: I know that I really don't like my name in your phone.

Me: Okay okay. What do you need to know so much?

As she was typing, a notification appeared at the top of my screen. It was from Frank.

Incubus: Y/n, listen to me. Don't respond to her. I don't want you making a deal with her by accident. I'll be at your house soon, just wait for me, okay?

Me: Okay.

I put my phone face down, not reading Alora's reply. I looked out the window. We were on my street. I met the same eyes of the man standing outside the restaurant earlier. He smiled, seeming normal enough. He seemed friendly. Then again, so did Alora.

"Everything alright, sweetie? You seem on edge." Her voice was soft, and I could tell she was tired. We pulled into the driveway, and I felt less anxious knowing that Frank might be here.

I nod, "Yeah, I'm alright." She bought it and we both walked inside. I locked the door, thinking about the demon who had been on this street.

This lock wouldn't stop him, though. She said she was going to bed, and I turned on the television, waiting for Frank to show up.

After over an hour, I heard footsteps above me, coming from my room. Frank must've finally showed up. I sprang up, and walked quickly up to my room. "Frank!" I looked up at the much taller man. Not Frank. "Oh..."

He put his hands up in defense, "Don't scream, please." He seemed confused when I actually kept quiet. His hands lowered, and he studied me. Maybe I had just become desensitized from all the things happening around me lately. "You're surprisingly calm. . ."

I shrug, "What are you doing here?" A part of me was hoping that Frank would show up any moment now.

"I saw you talking to Alora, you know she's a demon? You have to be super sensitive to the supernatural to be able to detect that kind of thing. You made eye contact with me and immediately knew, didn't you?" He sounded excited, for some reason. "My name is Dallon, by the way. I've been looking for someone like you for so long. No one can see me, I'm not a very powerful demon, unlike Alora. It's really draining to manifest yourself to people all the time! For someone to see me without using any energy is big." Dallon spoke quickly, and quietly, almost seeming scared that someone was listening.

He pulled my desk chair out and sat down, which made him less intimidating. "Do you realize what this means?" I've never seen such an excitable demon. Though, there was a worried undertone in his expression.

I raised an eyebrow, "Dude, I couldn't tell you."

Dallon's excitement seemed to wash away, "What?" He seemed to be under the impression that I had known about this 'ability' and that I knew what it was supposed to mean for me. If anyone were to know in this town, it'd be F/n. "This can't be right. You're supposed to be the one I've been searching for."

"I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about," I leaned in the doorway, crossing my arms. "What do you mean you've been 'searching' for me?"

He sighed, "The gist is, for some reason the universe made you one of the most important people, but only to the dead. You're powerful and have heightened senses that no other humans can possibly comprehend. Some humans spend their entire lives trying to listen to their 'guides' and whatnot, but in this case, it's not something you can simply learn. You were born with this gift, you just need help to control it and get use out of it." Dallon spoke with his hands, trying to get through to me. If F/n were to say anything like this, I'd look at her like she was crazy, because that's exactly what it sounds like. Absolutely batshit.

"So?"

"SO?" Dallon's eyes widened. "C'mon, Y/n. If you don't take this seriously, something bad will happen to you. I'm trying to help you." I didn't know if I trusted him or not. It was so broad, what could possibly happen if I just ignored this?

"What will happen?" I closed my door, just in case my mom were to wake up and hear talking. I sat on the other side of the room on my window sill.

Dallon spun the chair to face me, "You're vulnerable to the supernatural, that can be a good thing, but when you meet demons or spirits with ill-intent, you need to know how to stand your ground or your vessel will be taken advantage of."

"But if these demons are so powerful and can manifest themselves, why would they want my 'vessel'?" I asked, actually glad Dallon wasn't getting irritated with my questions.

"Basically, your vessel is ideal, most demons are in a vessel because it takes less energy than manifesting yourself. The more energy you use, the less time you have on Earth because you have to go back to the underworld to ground yourself. Staying in a vessel, a vessel like yours, means they have years, not hours or days, and that gives them time to collect more energy and become a more powerful demon."

Dallon found it hard to voice all of this. "I know maybe it doesn't sound like such a big deal, but it is. I don't know what it is about this town, but demons love it, and it's getting crowded with them. Maybe because they can smell you, and know you're close by." His words made me uncomfortable.  I really wished Frank was here. He wasn't in a vessel, was that why he's been gone for so long? He needed to ground himself?

"Okay, so..." I rubbed my face. "What would happen if I were possessed, and a powerful demon takes over my vessel?" I didn't want to think about it, but I wanted to know how grave the situation actually was.

He stood up, his height continued to intimidate me, but knowing he wasn't a very powerful demon made him almost human. Dallon sat beside me, maybe to comfort me, but I wasn't sure. "Your spirit will be pushed into a different plane, but I don't know all the facts. I wish I knew someone with more knowledge about this."

He sighed, looking disappointed in himself. "I'm scared of what will happen to you if Alora finds you. Someone like her in your vessel could easily take over the living in a matter of months." Take over the living?

Dallon put his head in his hands, looking rather stressed. I felt bad and rested a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, we can figure this out."

I wish it was one of those things you could ignore and it would just go away. Out of sight, out of mind. But it wasn't. If the entire world was in danger, I couldn't just ignore that.

I looked out the window, and storm clouds were gathering. Dark and huge. I remembered F/n saying that it was normal for thunderstorms to start when there were many demons in one area.

Thinking about F/n, I realized that we needed her.