What Is Love

Baekhyun's POV

The school bell rang, indicating the end of the last lesson. I stuffed my books into my bag and rushed over to the rooftop. Se Na didn't have any lessons then so she was probably already there, waiting. I waved my best friend goodbye as I passed by her desk. I heard her say, "Good luck" and glanced back to see her. She gave me a small smile but why did her eyes seem to have a bit of hurt in them? They were red too, like as though she was crying. I shrugged it off thinking that I was perhaps seeing things and scurried out to meet Se Na.

I ran up the stairs with a jump in each step, elated to confess to my crush but also slightly nervous at the same time. I opened the door to enter the rooftop and saw her. She was sitting on a bench with her back facing me. Her hair was flowing so perfectly with the wind. As I walked towards her, I realised that she was on the phone. Unintentionally, I began to overhear her conversation.

"Prepare your $100 guys. The most popular guy in school is going to confess to me and I'll make sure to break his heart in 2 weeks... Pfftt, me? Love him? No way did I ever even like him. He is just another one of my toys who happened to fall for me... Anyways, get ready to pay me for winning the bet."

Se Na's words pierced my heart and ripped it into two. She was trying to trick me from the beginning? It was just me falling head over heels for some playgirl? I felt a drop of something warm on my cheek and realised that I was crying. I hid behind the door to the rooftop and inhaled and exhaled, trying to take in everything. It took a while but when I was finally ready, I wiped my tears away with my hands and went outside.

"If you like playing with others' feelings, it's time you experience it too," I thought to myself and walked up to Se Na. She had already ended the call and was just sitting there. I tapped her shoulder and she turned to see me, beaming widely. I smiled back at her as she stood up and faced me. I then held her hands and said the words. "Se Na, I really like you. Will you be my girlfriend?"

It didn't take long when Se Na replied, "Yes! Of course, I will be!" She then wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back and smirked on her shoulder. "Great, I'm glad," I said softly and Se Na giggled. However, she didn't know that I was actually glad that she agreed so that my plan was in action.

We sat on the bench and finished eating the Gimbap she brought. I acted normal the entire time, smiling and joking around. But inside, I was thinking of how to break her heart before she could try to break mine and win the bet, although I already knew what was happening. As we were just sitting and looking at the sky, my phone vibrated. It was Aera calling me. I excused myself and picked up the phone.

"Aera ah, what's up?"

"Hey Baekhyun, I need to tell you something important. Can you meet me in our classroom right now please? I'm sorry I'm ruining your lunch with Se Na."

"No no, it's fine. I'll come down right now." I hung up and told Se Na that I needed to go. She didn't stop me and just smiled saying, "Remember our date tomorrow." I smiled back at her and nodded, walking to the exit of the rooftop. Yes, I'm taking her out on a date to start executing operation "Break Se Na's Heart". After all, in order to break her heart, I need her to give it to me first.

I entered the classroom and saw Aera at her desk. She was staring out at the window, probably at the scenery outside. I walked closer towards her but it seemed like she was really deep in thought. She didn't even hear me so I tried to tap her shoulder when the notebook on her desk caught my eye. It had a lot of her handwriting in it so I presumed it was her diary since there were dates on the top of the pages. Curiosity got the best of me when I saw that the page her pen was on only had two sentences.

"My best friend and first love likes someone. But why is that someone not me..."

My eyes widened as I read what she had written in my mind. Was she writing about me? The only best friend I knew she had was me. And... she wanted me to like her? As in, love her?

I was contemplating on whether I should confront her about it when her phone which was on her desk started vibrating. She closed her diary and answered it. I took a few steps back and decided to not ask her about what she wrote for now. Suddenly, I heard her yell "WHAT?!" I raised an eyebrow and walked closer to her again when she said, "Okay, I'm on my way" and stood up. I pretended that I had just arrived.

"Hey Aera, did something happen? Why did you react like that on the phone?"

"Sorry Baekhyun but I need to go now. My sisters got into a car accident."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you wish and wish earnestly

Will it come true, like the fairytales?"