Best Luck

Aera's POV

I was picking up pieces of a vase I accidentally broke when I cut my hand. It stung a little but I couldn't care less. I continued picking up the pieces and made a mental note to myself to aid my cut later.

Just then, I felt a strong hand grip my arm and pull me up onto my feet. I faced the owner of the hand and it was Baekhyun. He was fuming and I could see the vexation in his eyes. Why was he so mad?

"What the hell are you doing? You freaking cut yourself and still continued picking up the broken pieces? Do you want to hurt yourself even more?!" Baekhyun started scolding me and I just hung my head low. He was yelling and I felt so small under him. He was mad that I wasn't taking care of myself, and he was right. I should've been more careful.

"Sorry..." I mumbled, but Baekhyun seemed to have heard it. He sighed and suddenly lifted me off the ground. I was shocked but didn't resist since he already seemed quite irate. He carried me and sat me onto my bed. He then walked over to the first-aid kit in the bathroom and brought it to me. He began fixing my cut. His slender and long fingers moved around between the first-aid box and my finger. His hands felt warm, reminding me of the hugs we shared today. I wanted him to hug me again. I wanted to just be in his arms again and make him mine. I quickly shook off those thoughts as he finished up by wrapping a bandage. This entire process was done in silence with me just staring at him. His eyes then went to mine and I immediately looked away to the ground. He then heaved out a sigh.

"Look, I'm sorry I shouted at you earlier. But, why did you break the vase and start picking up the pieces? You hurt yourself. Even after cutting yourself, you continued to do that. You know the cut could get infected," Baekhyun explained and lifted my chin to make me face him. Uncontrollable tears just started coming out as I replied to him.

"I'm so sorry. I wanted to get water but I hit the vase and it toppled. I'm so out of it. Why can't I do anything right? I feel so useless." Baekhyun then wrapped his arms around me again, apologising repeatedly for scolding me earlier.

"You aren't useless. I didn't mean to shout at you just now. I was just so worried that you would harm yourself. You may think that you have nobody else but you're extremely wrong. You have me and I swear I'll protect you from now onwards." My heart fluttered at his last sentence. It kept replaying in my mind as I hugged him back tighter.

"I made food for you. How about you go downstairs first and eat? I'll clean up here," Baekhyun pulled me out and told me. I nodded and he helped me up. I was going to walk out of the room when he stopped me and just lifted me up again, catching me off-guard.

"I-I can walk by myself now really. I only got a cut on my hand, not on my foot," I said and tried to convince him to put me down.

"You would've gotten one if I hadn't stopped you," he countered and I looked to the floor, realising what he meant. I would've stepped on a broken piece of the vase from earlier if I had walked any further. I didn't even look down and just walked. I felt so dumb. I kept silent and buried my embarrassed face into Baekhyun's chest. This made him titter as he brought me across the room and to the kitchen. He placed me onto the seat in front of the aromatic food.

"Oh my gosh! It's salmon and seaweed egg fried rice!" I exclaimed and smiled brightly. Baekhyun knew it was my favourite as I had told him before how my older sister, Ara, made it for me so many times only because I loved it. This thought made my eyes teary again as I said out loud, "It looks just like how my sister made it..." Baekhyun, who was standing beside me, knelt down to slightly below my level and rubbed my back reassuringly. Today really made me realise how well he knew me to even be able to make something a loved one used to make for me. I turned to face him and wrapped my arms around his neck. This made him get taken aback a little but he returned the gesture as well.

"Thank you Baekhyun. Thank you for worrying about me, cooking for me and being here right beside me." He continued rubbing my back soothingly and just said that it was fine.

After a while, I let go of him and started eating the food. It tasted exactly like how I thought it would be and my eyes lit up. Baekhyun just chuckled at my reaction and then went to my bedroom. I heard him clear the broken vase fragments as I enjoyed my dinner.

After I was done, I was going to wash the dishes when Baekhyun stopped me and took the dirty dishes from my hands, telling me to sit down and rest. He had already cleaned up the mess in my room and began washing everything in the sink. I wanted to protest at first, but the look in his eyes showed that he wasn't going to change his mind. So I just obeyed him and sat back down, admiring him moving around from behind. My eyes then landed on the bandage on my finger, reminding me how caring he was towards me earlier. This made me think, "If I had confessed earlier in school, would he have accepted it?" However, I speedily brushed that thought aside as I knew that he would've already confessed to Se Na and she would've accepted. It would be weird if she didn't since well, she did show interest in him too. Still, curiosity got the better of me so I decided to ask Baekhyun about what happened with him and Se Na. He kept silent for a while as he switched off the tap after finishing up the dishes. His back was still facing me when I raised an eyebrow and called out to him again.

"I confessed and she accepted," he replied shortly.

My heart began to just break into tiny pieces. I wanted to just scream and tell him then and there that I loved him. However, I ended up taking a deep breath and just congratulating him with the happiest tone I could give. He then turned around and said something that made my mouth drop.

"But I don't love her or even like her anymore. I'm going to date her cause I hate her." I was bewildered at first but he sat opposite me and explained about what he heard on the rooftop. Fury grew in me as I learnt that she made him fall for her and she accepted the confession all for a bet.

"I'm only gonna date her so that she will fall for me, and then I will break up with her before the two weeks are up," Baekhyun finished explaining and I had to admit, I had a lot of mixed feelings. I was angry at Se Na for playing with my best friend's heart, sad that Baekhyun had to find out about this, glad that he did find out before starting to develop deep feelings for her and elated that he wasn't actually going to date her. It was like a God-sent opportunity for me. I know I sound evil but what can I do? I just love Baekhyun too much and couldn't help myself. I did not show my happiness though and instead, asked if he was okay. He nodded and said that he was thankful to have found out about the truth before confessing or else he would've really become miserable.

I noticed that he was looking at his fingers which were fidgeting on the table with one another. Instinctively, I took his hands in mine and reassured him. "I'm sure you'll find someone better. Until then, I'll be here for you when you need me." I also wished that "someone" was me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I dream everyday

Of holding your hand and flying forever, until always"