Miracles In December

Aera's POV

I entered the classroom and headed straight for my desk. I couldn't care any less about the loud whispers around. After the incident in the cafeteria a week ago, everyone has been "protecting" Se Na and avoiding me. Only Chanyeol stayed by my side as he knew what happened and for some reason, Minji stayed with me as well. She didn't even ask why I did what I did. When I asked her why she stayed with me, she just answered, "Because I know you didn't slap Se Na for nothing. You were hurt, just like me. I will be your friend and stand by you like how you did for me before." Her words were indeed touching. Now, we eat together and I even introduced Chanyeol to her. She seemed quite enthusiastic when they met and Chanyeol really liked her energy. The funny thing is, she's always enthusiastic around him.

What about Baekhyun? Well, he never disturbed me ever since that day in the garden. However, I did realise that he would always try to stay close to me, like as though he would make sure I was never out of his sight. I know that he didn't mean what he said but, the fact that he believed Se Na over me at that point in time has crushed my heart. He and Se Na were still together though, seeing as to how she would continuously cling onto him as well. It was like as though she really liked him. Hmm... maybe, she does.

One good thing did come out of everything that has happened though. Since Baekhyun was with me most of the time, Se Na didn't have a single opportunity to bully me. It was the most peaceful week of my life. Just going to school, studying, and going back home. I had little interaction with people and I didn't mind that as it enabled me to concentrate on my studies. However, one thing that always distracted me was my feelings for Baekhyun. I just wished they would go away but they seemed to grow even more. I missed talking to him, hugging him and hearing his voice. Sometimes, I wished that he would call me or approach me first, but I knew that he was just giving me the space I asked for. What if these feelings never go away? Can we still be best friends?

"Good morning class!" Our homeroom teacher greeted us as she entered. Everyone took their seats. I glanced at Baekhyun who was walking towards his seat behind me. He gave me a small smile but I just looked back to my book. I then heard a sigh as he pulled out his chair and sat down. The self-study time went by as normal but after it ended, the teacher asked to see me privately.

"Aera-shi, there will be a new transfer student joining our class tomorrow and he will need help to settle in, especially since it's the last year before your major exams. Can you be his buddy and tutor him as well as show him around the school please?" I listened to her request and nodded with uncertainty.

"But, why me? I don't really mingle with people. Shouldn't you ask someone who can help him make friends and get comfortable here?"

"You are underestimating yourself. Firstly, he would need help with certain subjects and you are the top scorer out of the entire level. Secondly, you don't mind helping others as I have seen you teach others when they come to you before, like Kim Minji from the class beside ours. Lastly, he doesn't need friends, as long as he has one who can help him and be there for him. And I know that you fit into that category perfectly. Plus, this will help you to get to know him and become friends, improving your own social interactions." I thought about her answer and I couldn't disagree with her. After all, if the teacher is saying all of this about me, I need to believe in myself. I accepted her request and she thanked me before sending me back to class.

The next day, a guy who I did not recognise entered our class with our teacher. That must be the guy who I will be helping from now on. He introduced himself as Kim Sang Bum and the teacher told him to sit next to me since I had an empty seat beside me. He sat down and greeted me. I smiled and greeted him back, introducing myself as well. I informed him that I was his buddy and would show him around the school during recess. He thanked me and took out his textbook to read while waiting for our Biology teacher.